MixIng hard cider and apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fossil

Reaction score
Hi all from downunder. The flavour of dry hard cider is not to everyones taste. Whilst I can brew a really good dry hard cider, I sometimes have to add varying amounts of apple juice to sweeten it to a drinkers preference.

I thought to set up a system with a mixer tap of sorts. Cider in one end, apple juice in the other, then a rotating lever on the top to mix the two together at the drinkers preference to pour into the glass. Rather like a bathroom tap but instead if mixing hot and cold water it would be mixing two flavoursome liquids in varying ratios.

Obviously if the two liquids are kegged and being force carbonated, the pressures in each keg would need to identical.

But finding a tap to do this in your home bar is turning out to be extremely difficult. A bathroom tap might do but is not very appealing. It would be really clever if a drinker could dial up the mixing ratio required then open the tap, so it could be set for say dry, semidry, sweet etc.

Are there any scientific types out there who have tried something similar or who know of a suitable mixer?

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards Cliff in Perth, Western Australia.

If you have the cider and juice kegged why would you need a tricky mixer? If I had that setup I would have two taps and pour whatever quantity of cider in a glass then top up with juice from the other tap.

Lads you are absolutely right. I cannot think of any application which would require such a valve, so unlikely to find a manufacturer. Two taps is the best solution.

My next problem is to find a way to reduce the pressure at my tap from the pressure inside the keg, without bleeding off CO2 through the relief valve.

Having a devil of a time trying to put bubbles into my brew - the cider hits the inside of the glass then big bubbles form a foam which seems to be taking the gas out of the cider. The keg is at 3 deg C inside the fridge.

The hose may be a problem here as even in the dead of winter the temperature outside the fridge is still around 17 deg C. Maybe that is causing the bubbles to form as the cider flows to the tap.

Which part of the world are you in? My wife is a Durham Lassie via Bristol which explains how I fell in love with cider on a visit to see her family a few years back. I dream of leaving Oz and moving to Swanage in Dorset.

Fond regards from Cliff in Perth Western Australia.

Back