Lost the recipe for a delicious Amber Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I made an Amber Lager back a couple of months ago, and I just opened the first one last night. I was trying to duplicate Flying Dog Brewery's "Old Scratch" Amber Lager.

Man the flavor came out perfect better -- than the original, lager crisp, clean and tastey, lovely malt flavor, the color was a dead on match, almost a perfect duplicate only my version was a little hazy. Thats the good news.

The bad news is I cannot find the receipt for the grain bill that had the recipe. :( Fortunately I remember the Hop schedule because It was exactly the same Hops and times that I used on another beer.

I just can't seem to remember the grain bill.

The only thing I know for sure is that it was very similar to this beer that I made:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=52426

Pretty sure the 8.5 # light munich part is the same.

Only difference was that I used some amount of Crystal 80 or 120, can't remember which or how much. And I could almost swear that I used some amount of either Chocolate or CaraAroma, even though I can't remember which or how much of that either.

I really want to make this beer again on Sunday, is there a trick to figuring out what went into a recipe after the fact ?

I have got to make this beer again soon, I only have two cases and that will not last long cause this beer is off the hook.

Well, there are folks out there that are fairly good and working up clone recipes after tasting a beer, but that's a bit of a crapshoot. If you can't find that receipt, it sounds like you are in for some experimenting.

I hate to rub salt in your wounds, but you should consider keeping a log book (or folder or drawer, or even pile) where you put your complete recipe down, yourself, as well as any notes about the process. You can also put some money into brewing software that saves such stuff. Even then, I don't depend on the hard drive, and I print out all my recipes and notes for saving.

TL

Yeah, I know I should keep better records. Right now I write my recipe on a sticky note so I have a record of what I was trying to shoot for, and I stick the sticky note on the printout of the grainbill when I leave the Home brew shop so I have a record of what I actually bought. Then I just scribble notes on the back of the paper as I brew and try not to lose it. Just somehow the try not to lose it part broke down this last time.

Back