crashing of yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
About how long do you guys cold crash a yeast starter between steps? or after, if you are just pitching a slurry.
the yeast i'm using is the White labs okoberfest.
I started it monday night, doing 2 steps, and hoping to be ready by saturday afternoon. I'm just trying to get a rough idea.
thanks

After it is done fermenting, put it in the fridge in the morning and it should be good at night or vice versa.

Definitely will be nice if i can step it up tonight, it will be almost 24 hours.

The wort its still pretty cloudy, do you edit for it to come clear?

It sounds like you have a cloudy yeast strain or you didn't wait for it to finish fermenting before chilling it. Is it bubbling still?

I cold crash my starters for about 8 hours, decant, and then step-up, then repeat...

I see you have a german yeast. Maybe it is supposed to be cloudyish for a while? You may consider tossing the whole thing into the second step (ex: 1L into 3L). Just add the dme that was intended for the second step and the liquid in the 1st step will act as water. Shouldn't matter.

badbrew said:
I see you have a german yeast. Maybe it is supposed to be cloudyish for a while? You may consider tossing the whole thing into the second step (ex: 1L into 3L). Just add the dme that was intended for the second step and the liquid in the 1st step will act as water. Shouldn't matter.

Shouldn't you sterilize wort first before adding to yeast?

After the first step it was relatively clear. I stepped it up 24 hours later.
Tons of yeast in there last night before i through it in the fridge.
Should be very clear by Saturday afternoon when its time to pitch!
This one's going to be goooood!

Good job. I suggest decanting and then letting the yeast sit for a couple hours at room temp. Then swish it around and pitch. Add some bottle water to the flask to get anything stuck and rinse it out into the carboy.

badbrew said:
Good job. I suggest decanting and then letting the yeast sit for a couple hours at room temp. Then swish it around and pitch. Add some bottle water to the flask to get anything stuck and rinse it out into the carboy.

Yup, exactly what I plan on doing. except I'm going to rinse with wort.

Back