converting 1 gal to 5 gal help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckBrew

Reaction score
Ok i just bought a wine equipment kit and it came with recipe book. Me and my fiance was looking thru it and decided on this recipe but all 1gal recipe.

14-16lbs apples or 1 gal of juice
1lb sugar
1 1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 campden tablet, crushed
1 pkg of champ. yeast
later: 1 tsp of anti-oxidant

How do i got about making it 5 gal recipe? multiply everything by 5? do i really need 80lbs of apples if i do?

It confuses me too,I like this question but also does it massively affect the taste if the mix is....40%/60% water-juice

Yes, multiply everything by five except for the yeast. A packet of yeast will be good for a five gallon batch.

ashfatboy said:
It confuses me too,I like this question but also does it massively affect the taste if the mix is....40%/60% water-juice

Pretty much, yes. It depends what you're making though. This recipe calls for juice and it would preferable to top up the liquid lost from racking with either more juice or a similar wine.

Dicky

That is totally accurate. It takes 14-16 pounds of apples to make one gallon of juice, so yes if you want to make 5 gallons of juice you would need to juice 70 to 80 pounds of apples.

Back