Top Up Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNut24

Reaction score
Do people top up their secondary to reduce head space? Made five gallons of Barleywine and ended up with about 4.5 gallons in secondary. Thanks.

\Don

No way. Sounds like what youre asking is should I water down my barleywine to reduce headspace (presumably concerned with oxidation?) I'd be more concerned with having a guaranteed watered down barleywine than with a very slightly higher risk of an already low risk of oxidation.

especially not with something like a barleywine. secondarying it will rouse the yeast a little, so it will ferment a little more and create a little pressure, keeping nasties out

especially not with something like a barleywine. secondarying it will rouse the yeast a little, so it will ferment a little more and create a little pressure, keeping nasties out

This is it exactly. Even if the beer has fully fermented, there is still CO2 suspended within the beer. When you transfer, it's similar to off-gassing a wine. It will agitate and release a lot of CO2.

Latest posts

Back