Who does this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
Does anyone else do this? I put a clear plastic cup over my airlock to capture the escaping co2 and aroma. I don't pay much attention to my airlock as far as a fermentation indicator, but I do pay attention to the smell coming out of the airlock. Sweet/molasses smell and fermentation hasn't done much yet.. Nice beer smell and I know some amount of fermentation is taking place. It's not a science by any means, but it is a basic indicator for me. Plus I just love to smell the cup.. It's the sweet smell of success!
IMG00453-20111222-1620.jpg
[/IMG]

Never seen it but if I used pails I would definitely try it. It would be nice to have a concentrated sniff every once in a while.

Never seen it but if I used pails I would definitely try it. It would be nice to have a concentrated sniff every once in a while.

It's almost as good as drinking it.. I sniff 'em 3 or 4 times a day. It's amazing how much it can tell you about the progress of the fermentation. You can do it with a carboy too. Just tilt the cup kinda sideways so it doesn't rest on the top of the airlock! I've found that even airlocks that haven't produced a bubble for many weeks still put out aroma...

I believe it would be more scientific to have a dog sniff your airlock.
:)

haha! I certainly am not saying that I make decisions based on smell, but you can definitley note differences in the aroma day by day... If your olfactory sense is acute enough. :cross:

Back