Does alpha acid % matter for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
Since dry hopping generally doesn't extract much bitterness, does it make any difference what the alpha acid % of the hops is?

I ask because I know that dry hopping 1 oz of 5% hops works pretty well, but if I make a similar recipe with 11% amarillo, is a week going to be too long?

The alpha acids only contribute to bitterness when they isomerize during the boil. So any hop additions after the boil is over, will not contirubte bitterness (IBU).

Dry hops will contribute their other hop oil componants (Myrcene, Humulene, Carophyllene, Farnesene, etc.) to the flavor/aroma profile. Alpha acids are not important at that point...

At least, that is how I understand it.... :)
--LexusChris

I think the way most people put it is that dry hopping doesn't add ACTUAL bitterness (isomerizing the alpha acids), but can add PERCEIVED bitterness. This would be in the way the drinker interprets the flavors from the hops. A strong grapefruit flavor tastes bitter to a lot of people.

I think the way most people put it is that dry hopping doesn't add ACTUAL bitterness (isomerizing the alpha acids), but can add PERCEIVED bitterness. This would be in the way the drinker interprets the flavors from the hops. A strong grapefruit flavor tastes bitter to a lot of people.

I agree with this. The flavor and aroma extracted from dry hopping can add to a peceived bitterness even with no additional IBU's added.
Bull

Back