off flavor from keg/plastic fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i dont know if ive developed an infection, but the past 2 batches ive had a funky fruity off flavor in the aroma and flavor. not really sour, but definitely astringent and too fruity. the aroma component has taken over the dry hop complexity in my IPAs and is noticeable in the flavor (although doesn't overpower it like an infection would...i guess). i havent had an infection yet so im not sure what i got, but my last few batches just dont taste right or clean. what ive noticed is the same aroma in my beer from the aftermath of keg and plastic fermenter. ive had a plastic fermenter since first started brewing (2 years ago). im gonna change that out next batch. my keg though carries that aroma too. i usually run PBW through it after i kill a keg, but ive never disassembled and soaked a 24 hour yet. gonna do that next as well. i usually sanitize with starsan accurately. i do AG. Ive done about 15 AG batches, all of which have been from decent-->outstanding except the last 2. i ferment with a temp control in a mini-fridge (usually wlp001 at 62-65). i guess my question is have other people came across this problem with weird off flavors turning from the keg/plastic fermenter into the final product? Do i need to change the O rings or any other plastic that has came in contact just in case of infection (siphon, airlock, etc.)? any other opinions in would be much appreciated...

What type of plastic fermenter are you using? I've used better bottles for countless batches and haven't had any issues. If you use plastic like me make sure you don't scrub it because the scratches will hold bacteria. Also you need to take the keg completely apart and clean the hell out of it. Soak everything in scalding hot water and oxyclean for a few hours. Replace your o-rings if you never have.

If your fermenter or keg smell like fruit, so will your beer. Run some of the hot oxy mixture through the tap and all but follow it up with some hot water afterwards. Take apart your taps and clean them too. That should fix it.

What type of plastic fermenter are you using? I've used better bottles for countless batches and haven't had any issues. If you use plastic like me make sure you don't scrub it because the scratches will hold bacteria. Also you need to take the keg completely apart and clean the hell out of it. Soak everything in scalding hot water and oxyclean for a few hours. Replace your o-rings if you never have.

If your fermenter or keg smell like fruit, so will your beer. Run some of the hot oxy mixture through the tap and all but follow it up with some hot water afterwards. Take apart your taps and clean them too. That should fix it.

using ale pail. i did scrub it about 6 batches ago, but never noticed any problems until the last 2. im gonna scarp that just to be safe and never scrub again. the large O ring on the keg is new (for about 5 batches), but the small ones have been there since first use (they were new at the time, about 13 batches now). im gonna switch the small ones, but should i scarp the large one as well or just give it a nice long soak? i use a picnic faucet for pouring out of the keg. should i scrap that? i was thinking about running some PBW through it, but just letting it sit in there for 24 hours instead of just running it through as i usually do...

Latest posts

Back