Bottled my first batch today, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Seeing as this was my first batch, I had no clue what problems, however small, might occur. Everything went pretty well at first. The problem I ran into was the siphon connection to the curved tube. I used the clamp that came with the kit and it didnt create an airtight seal. We mustve siphoned 1/2 gallon or more that was all bubbles. After a few attempts I used a rubberband and created a turniquet to complete the seal. Will that first bit of extreme bubbling and aeration have any negative effects on my batch?

At 1/2G,I don't think so myself. I had something like that happen till I got the hang of using my auto siphon. As long as the tube fits tight on the curved siphon,then it should work well. Just make sure it's below the surface of the beer as the level goes down.

This sounds like one of those cases where if there are negative effects, there isn't much to be done at this point anyway, in which case our favorite motto comes into play: Relax, don't worry, have a home brew (or in your case, a micro brew). :mug:

Honestly though, don't worry about it. I'll bet it comes out great.

I had this problem when i dryhopped pellots loose.I rubberbanded a piece of nylon around the end of the auto siphon and it bubbled the crap out of almost half of it while racking to a botteling bucket. I was worried it would be oxidized.Turned out that it did absolutly nothing negative and they are still very good 4 months later. It was an Irish Blonde around March.
I think i know what your problem is either you need a tighter fitting tube or you gotta kinda bend it and tweak around with the spot where they meet,while its flowing sometimes you have to adjust it by pinching and bending a little as far as the racking cane, with the autosiphon i never have that problem.Its only a few dollars more but it just takes gettting the hang of it.

Back