Sould I wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlmcgrath

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a chance to brew today, which doesn't happen very often but I forgot to make my yeast starter yesterday. I will be brewing AHS Shock top clone. When I received the yeast from AHS, the cold package was no longer cold. Last beer that I made with yeast from this order didn't take to fermenting very quickly. Can I brew today and put a solid stopper in my carboy until tomorrow when my starter is ready?

I'm sure that you could. But, that just kind of makes you more vulnerable to infection having to open and close your fermenter more than usual. But, if you have the time today, you might as well. Hell, I'd pitch the yeast and if it didn't ferment out just put some dry yeast in there at the end to get it down to where you want it.

I do this every time I brew since I don't use any chilling methods. I dump the hot wort into the plastic bucket 10 minutes after boiling so it sterlizes everything then pitch later that night or the next morning

Back