Oatmeal Stout Milk Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the recipe. I bought all the ingredients yesterday from my LHBS. I swapped the yeast for Notty and the DME for LME (5.7lbs) but the gave me 6 since their cups have pre measured lines. They had DME, but he recommended I only buy their LME since it is fresh. Hopefully he lead me down a good path.

I will be brewing this up on Sunday. I also bought vanilla beans and cocoa nibs. I want to split the batch in 3's (as is, vanilla, and cocoa). Since I'm new to brewing, I want to give myself variations and test my taste buds. Hopefully, everything turns out and I learn a little.

**Edit** In case anyone was interested I bought together the "kit" price for this beer.

Ingredients - As Purchased 2014/12/16 Amount Price UoM Total
Canadian Pale LME (5.7lbs) - packaged as 6 lbs 5.7 lb $2.40 1 pound $14.40
Black Patent 8 oz $1.80 1 pound $0.90
Chocolate Malt 12 oz $1.80 1 pound $1.35
CARAPILS 8 oz $1.85 1 pound $0.93
Lactose 1 lb $4.65 1 pound $4.65
Oats, Flaked 1 lb $1.50 1 pound $1.50
Fuggle Pellet Hops 1 oz $1.90 1 oz $1.90
Fuggle Pellet Hops 1 oz $1.90 1 oz $1.90
Nottingham 1 packet $2.95 1 packet $2.95
Irish Moss 1 tsp $1.50 1 packet $0.15
Addition (Vanilla Bean) (1/3 of batch) 1 beans $7.25 1 packet $1.21
Addition (Cocoa Nibs) (1/3 of batch) 2 oz $5.95 1 packet $2.98
Total: $34.81

Last edited:
Hi guys, just brewed this the other day and have possibly hit a couple of problems.
Our OG came in lower than expected at 1.044. We stuck to the extract recipe but our post boil wort came to 15litres so we topped it up with 7litres of cold water, could this be why we hit a lower OG than the recipe?
When we pitched the Windsor yeast the temp was possibly a bit high, about 30c. Am I right in thinking it should be pitched closer to 20c?
It started fermenting nicely but after about 36hours it seemed to slow down and the krausen dropped off and for the last 2 days the gravity has read 1.022 (this is now it's 5th day in Primary). Using brewersfriend's ABV calculator that works out at 2.89% which isn't that appealing.
Looking online it sounds as if Windsor can be a bit temperamental, do you think we need to re-pitch another yeast and give it a good stir?
If so, do we need to make a starter and wait a couple of days or just re-hydrate the yeast and stir it in?
If the yeast has done it's job is there any way of bumping the ABV up a bit?
My friend and I have just started out and this was our third brew and definitely the one we were most excited about so if it can be salvaged with anyone's help it would be much appreciated.
I imagine it is still going to taste pretty damn fine either way from reading all your comments so it could be an avenue into some nice, tasty weak beer.

I've just been doing a bit of searching and it looks like sugar can be added to the primary to increase the ABV without affecting the taste.
I'm starting to think the yeast has eaten all the fermentables as the FG in the recipe is what ours has got down to so adding sugar may be the best option.
Two questions though, is it too late as we're 5 days in?
If not, how much sugar can I add to get it from 2.89% to about 4-4.5% in a 5 gallon batch?
Cheers.

loovenator, I'm new to brewing too and this was my third batch. To answer your first question, yes you added to much water. You want to check the OG and add enough water to get the measurement where you want it. the amount of wort isn't as important as the OG. I'm guessing you didn't add enough malt extract or steep the oats/grains enough.

Second, yes you pitched the yeast at too hot of a temp. Again, there are many more people to give you better advice. I'm not sure the affects of pitching at too hot, but I've read a few things and I don't think at 30 C (86 F) you will kill the yeast (which is obvious since you had 36 hours of good activity). What temperature are you fermenting at? If it's too cold the yeast can stop.

Adding sugar after boil is unmarked territory for me. I've read about people adding sugar to wort but not after it was pitched. Hopefully one of the experts on here will reply and give you some advice. Lastly, have patience. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and check again to see if the FG continues to drop

I regularly add syrups and sugars to my belgians and IPAs. Just make sure if you're using sugar to boil it in water and cool it before dumping it in.

That being said, increasing the ABV of a beer by like 50% on the cold side is NOT going to make it better. I've never had a beer with 50% simple sugars but I cant imagine it would be good.

You could try using malt extract instead and adding that...

Oh and yeah, 86F is a very bad temperature to pitch yeast as it can cause massive amounts of off flavors. Most yeast will do their best work pitched in the low 60s

So I just brewed this as well. Hit an og of 1.06 is that an issue? Also using a different yeast, Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50 with no starter as I didn't have any extra dme. Going to let this sit in primary for 3 weeks and bottle it up!

Handro, sounds like you'll have a stronger stout than I have.
If you want advise from the more experienced on here just write up the details of your brew i.e. if you altered any ingredients, how much you liquid you boiled, whether you added water post boil, what temp you pitched your yeast at etc. then people are always happy to guide you on why you may have a higher OG than the recipe.
I did end up adding 500g of boiled and cooled cane sugar and since (not sure if it was due to this addition) the gravity has gone down to 1.018, which makes brings the abv to 3.8%.
It'll be making its way into the bottles in the next day or two so I'll let you know in a few weeks how it turns out.
I had a taste when taking the gravity and it tastes a little watery when it first hits the mouth but it has a good bit of flavour going on and hopefully this will only improve over the next couple of weeks.

Sure. I boiled 3 gallons of water, topped up the wort (which was at 67 degrees) with two gallons room temp water (72 degrees). Gravity reading was after I added those two. I didn't use any oatmeal because after doing some reading I don't think that it would add much unless we were doing all grain.

I'm a new brewer. Done about 8 brews, all extract. Can you break down the boil process for me a little more? And what should the gravity be?

QUOTE=DrinkinSurfer;2118064]M.O. Stout (Milk Oatmeal Stout)

Light Dry Malt Extract – 4.5 lbs
Black Patent – 8 oz
Chocolate Malt – 12 oz
CARAPILS – 8 oz
Lactose – 1 lb
Oats, Flaked – 1 lb
Fuggle Pellet Hops – 1 oz (60 min)
Fuggle Pellet Hops - 1 oz (5 min)
Windsor Yeast
Irish Moss - 1 tsp

Steep oats for 15 minutes at 115 F.
Bring temp up to 155.
Steep grains and oats for 45 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Add malt extract.
Bring to boil.
Add bittering hops with 60 minutes remaining.
Add 1 tsp Irish Moss and 1 lb lactose at with 15 min remaining.
Add aroma hops with 5 minutes remaining.

Very delicious sessionable stout. Could be (and has been) described as a toastier, darker, slightly sweet, and thicker likeness of Newcastle. In no way is it Newcastle but it shares a similar drinkability for being so dark. My friends and neighbors request it constantly.[/QUOTE]

I'm a new brewer. Done about 8 brews, all extract. Can you break down the boil process for me a little more? And what should the gravity be?

Usually Brewers boil for 60 min. All hop addition Times are give in time until flame out (0 min).

1.060 isn't a very high og. You may be slightly under pitched but it'll be fine

How much water are you using to steep the oats and grains?

You can steep at full boil amount or reduce if your pot isn't big enough. I don't think the amount of water changes the end product all that much since this is an extract recipe.

I have a 6 gal pot, so I do everything at 5 gal. I typically boil off 1 gal so I top off in the bucket to get my OG (anywhere from 1/2 to 1 gal add usually)

*Update*

This beer is damn good. :mug: I highly recommend this to anyone considering making a stout.

I did 2 weeks primary (66-68F) and then I racked it onto vanilla beans in the secondary for another week. I cold crashed it my cellar for 3 days at 44F (thanks to winter temps). I then kegged and let it sit at 12 psi for a week inside a 38F fridge. I did give the keg a shake since the carb level was still a little low after a week, but it is pouring perfect now.

The taste is phenomenal. It is smooth and the vanilla carries through the after taste leaving a very pleasant finish. This is the first beer that I am proud to share. I will be making again.

Here is picture of the stout while I chill a dead guy ale clone.
16185813119_1e2ced1088_z.jpg

Here is what I came up with. I just converted the DME over to 7.5lbs of 2-row via Beersmiths conversion feature. It was my first AG batch, second batch ever. I ended up with 82% brewhouse eff, so my OG was a bit high, I planned on 75%. After that all my numbers worked out great. I switched up the yeast because I'm familiar with dry yeast at this point in brewing career. I'm going to take some of this batch and add some Jamesons thats been soaking in vanilla beans at bottling, to make a car bomb beer. I'm really stoked to see how this one turns out!

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/18/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.97 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (8.5 Gal) and Igloo Cooler (5 Gal)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 66.64 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.88 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.68 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.46 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.45 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.88 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of this on 1/11/2015. I finally got around to bottling it today. It tasted so good, I wish I had kegged it! Even at 62 degrees and flat it was good.....I drank half a bottle of it. :rockin:

4lb 2 row
8oz flaked oats
6oz chocolate malt
4oz black patent malt
4oz cara-pils

I mashed at 153 for 75 minutes.

.5 oz Willamette 60 min (subbed Willamette for Fuggles)
.5 oz Willamette 15 min (subbed Willamette for Fuggles)
3 tsp yeast nutrient (10 min)
8 oz lactose (10 min)

6 grams US-04 rehydrated

I've brewed the LH Milk Stout recipe on this forum four different times, and this one may get brewed just as much. Can't wait to compare the two side by side.

Great recipe!

Hello,

This was my first non-kit brew. Not sure how, but I forgot to add the first hops when it started boiling and realized 25 minutes into it. So, the first hops boiled for 35 minutes. Is that ok?

Additionally, I forgot to add the Irish moss. How will that effect the taste?

I love oatmeal stouts and was so excited to brew it. . . hope I didn't screw it up too badly.

Hello,

This was my first non-kit brew. Not sure how, but I forgot to add the first hops when it started boiling and realized 25 minutes into it. So, the first hops boiled for 35 minutes. Is that ok?

Additionally, I forgot to add the Irish moss. How will that effect the taste?

I love oatmeal stouts and was so excited to brew it. . . hope I didn't screw it up too badly.

You'll be OK. Oatmeal stouts are not based around hops anyway. Also irish moss is just to help coagulate suspended particles and mget them to settle out for a clearer beer. Doesn't matter with dark beers like stouts

You'll be OK. Oatmeal stouts are not based around hops anyway. Also irish moss is just to help coagulate suspended particles and mget them to settle out for a clearer beer. Doesn't matter with dark beers like stouts

Thank you! That's just what I wanted to hear!

Also, I had about 3/4 gallon of this leftover after I brewed it. I poured that amount into a 1 gallon jug and pitched US-04 with it just like the 2.5 gallon batch. It fermented out just like the main batch. I then toasted about one ounce of raw cacao nibs in the toaster oven for 10 minute @ 300 degrees and dumped them in and let them sit for a week. Yesterday I bottled six 12 oz full bottles, and one partial full bottle. I didn't taste a sample yet. I'll check one of the bottles in about two weeks to see how the cacao nibs did. This was my first time using them.

Back