Johnson A419 fried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davel122

Reaction score
Hello Everyone..

I had just wired my Johnson A419 for my keezer. Once plugged in, sparks started flying and the controller on the inside burned out. I double checked my wiring and everything was wired correctly according to the wiring diagram that has been circulating on various homebrew forums. I have narrowed it down to 2 main causes:

#1 (most probable) I didnt have any wire nuts and used electrical tape to connect everything, (I was gonna buy some after initial wiring).

#2 A defective unit - somehow I doubt this one to be the case.

Can anyone verify that I'm made a bonehead move by using the electrical tape before I reorder another unit...

Thanks in advance for all of your help

You had a 110v model right? (there are DC models also besides the 110/220AC models). As long as all the tape was covering all the wire, that should be OK (though of course not preferred). However even if a little part was off and it touched something...that definately would explain it. You positive you had it wired correctly?

BrewNinja..

Thanks for the reply.. I didnt even think of a third cause which is that I bought the wrong unit.. I checked the label and saw that I ordered the gbf model which is suited for 24vac.. I guess I learned a $50 lesson to order the right parts..

Thanks for your help!

Just fried my controller. :( Wondering if I can replace the blown resistors and the relay.

Latest posts

Back