Correct me if I'm Wrong, but This is Crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMac

Reaction score
Has anyone else read this? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...drunkenness-and-hangovers-in-development.html

Scientists are working on a substitute to replace alcohol.

"The synthetic alcohol, being developed from chemicals related to Valium, works like alcohol on nerves in the brain that provide a feeling of wellbeing and relaxation. But unlike alcohol its does not affect other parts of the brain that control mood swings and lead to addiction. It is also much easier to flush out of the body. Finally because it is much more focused in its effects, it can also be switched off with an antidote, leaving the drinker immediately sober."

The article makes a big point that it would replace the alcohol in beer and wine. Alcohol is created as a byproduct of the yeast eating the sugars in fermentation. Are they suggesting that beer, with this substitute, would skip the fermentation stage completely?

It would be cool to become instantly sober after a long night of drinking. But, if this substitute becomes globally regulated and enforced wouldn't it completely change the methods and science of brewing? Would beer be as good without aging and maturing through the fermentation process?

I don't brew beer just to get drunk (or to experience any type of feeling), so to me this sounds very disappointing. The byproducts of yeast also add flavoring to numerous types of ales, and I'm wondering how they would ever replace those flavors?

I'm sure the BMC makers will jump on this as the new "hottest" thing. But I would hate to see the entire industry adopt this strategy.

Well, if it's as spectacularly succesful as all of those synthesized fat substitute products, we're all in for a real treat here!

Simply skipping the fermentation step and adding this alcohol replacer would not result in the same product. There would have to be some changes to how beer is produced.

Somehow, I'm not too high on this drink to my hearts content on synthesized alcohol and then pop a pill to sober up concept. No sale!

...and one last thing, Professor Nutt??? I mean, come on, 'nuff said! ;)

I don't brew beer just to get drunk (or to experience any type of feeling), so to me this sounds very disappointing. The byproducts of yeast also add flavoring to numerous types of ales, and I'm wondering how they would ever replace those flavors?

I'm sure the BMC makers will jump on this as the new "hottest" thing. But I would hate to see the entire industry adopt this strategy.

I couldn't agree more. That delicious Hefeweisen I had last night wouldn't be much of anything with this stuff!

If they figure it all out and present it to government or committee heads who are not familiar with the process of making beer and wine, I wouldn't be surprised if they bought it as a genius idea and tried to enforce it in all alcoholic beverages for safety and health reasons... :(

FTA: "The synthetic alcohol, being developed from chemicals related to Valium...
But unlike alcohol its does not affect other parts of the brain that control mood swings and lead to addiction. It is also much easier to flush out of the body. "

Hmmm....

"Dependence and Tolerance

Tolerance to valium can develop rapidly with daily or frequent use. Generally, tolerance to the hypnotic and sedative effects occurs within days, however, tolerance to the anxiolytic effects of valium, rarely, if ever, occurs.

Long-term valium usage generally leads to some form of dependence.Studies show that up to 50 percent of patients prescribed valium for 6 months or more, become physically dependent to the drug.
"

A benzodiazepine derivative that has no withdrawl symptoms or possibility of addiction? I think there would be a bigger market for such a medication than dosing beer.

Silly Telegraph and their pseudo-news. ;)

Back