• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Ball Lock Cornys!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had no dealings with this vendor.
I saw him mentioned on another site.
Dave.

http://www.comsearch-can.com/rds.htm

I have found my kegs! Thank you Beeton!

I got in touch with R.D.Strickand turns out he used to work for Cornelius 30 odd years ago before the started his beverage equipment supply business. He has bought and sold hundreds of thousands kegs in the last thirty years (I got a nice history of the business, found out that hoover used to make soda kegs). He was selling refurbished kegs for 50 buck a pop, he has gotten out of the keg business as the supply dried up. He told me he still had about 50 kegs sitting around but he would need to go through them and put some time into refurbishing them for sale. I asked how much he would let them go for if I bought a bunch and refurbished them myself (I was gambling on out of a batch of 10 I might get 3-4 that I could get to hold pressure.) My heart skipped a beat when he said he would let me have them for $2 each.

I am heading to my SWMBO's parents for Thanksgiving this weekend and she wanted to stop to visit a university friend in Toronto on the way there. R.D.Strickland is about a 45 min drive from there. This get me thinking I may be able to sell this to SWMBO: I drop her off at her friends drive up buy as many kegs as I can fit in the Mazda 5 (20-30)?, then come back and pick her up and head off to he parents place for dinner. I thought I was going to have to work at selling this to her(she will not drink beer at all, it took 5 years before I convinced her to let me start building my kegging system)... I expected her to ask why I needed so many kegs... etc... So I prepared my arguments and told her about it. She said that it made perfect sense, before I could use any of my carefully thought out reasons why it was a good plan! I knew there was a reason why I married her.

So if I am lucky I may come out of this with extra working kegs...

Well that was quite the weekend, I ended up buying 31 kegs, most but not all of them are missing parts, gas tubes, dip tubes, posts.... Loose/missing handles and so on. None of them had lids with them... When I asked about the lids he said he had a bunch if I wanted to buy them:confused:, after a bit of haggling I ended up buying all his bits an pieces, an assortment of lids,o-rings, posts (not enough) poppets, Pressure valves for the lids(hundreds) about 20 dip tubes... In the end I ended if ended up paying $8 per keg with everything he could find related to the kegs included with them. I am optimistic that I can put together at least 10 kegs with the parts I got, and a few more with buying new parts. When I get it all figured out I will likely be selling a few of them(to recover costs). It was fun fitting them all in the Mazda(and still having room for SWMBO and my daughter:D

Richard

Back