My age is showing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkane101

Reaction score
My first back to back 5G brews . I lift an pour everyting and and I have to say...my back hurts. LOL.. I don't wanna come off as a wuss or anything ...but I do believe I will need to build/buy a sculpture. Lifting water/wort gets tiresome ay 52!

Trust me, I'm with you. I did a back-to-back last month. Plus, I bottle, which took awhile. I turn 56 next week, and I'm thinking some kind of dolly would be great.

Heavy lifting is why I keep HWMO around. (Just kidding, he also picks up dead animals in the yard too. :D)

On our last brew, Troy was about 3 weeks into dealing with a broken rib. Normally I would have just put the brew off but it was a swap beer that had to be made so he painfully (with my help) muddled through. :(

Just finished spreading 5 yards of loess-sand on the yard. Even dry, it was about 6 tons. My back is fine (57), but my forearms are screaming.

Another nice thing about fermenting in buckets: handles. Grab with both hands, lift about two inches, and duck waddle.

My greyhounds pick up the dead animals (even dead animals that weren't dead originally) and deposit them in the living-room.

My greyhounds pick up the dead animals (even dead animals that weren't dead originally) and deposit them in the living-room.

I won't even let my lab bring his nasty tennis ball in the house. You are truly dog's best friend!

I am several years younger, but brewing ten gallon batches on an improvised gravity structure has me thinking either pump or pulleys. I am considering a platform with 4 connection points that I can raise up once filled. It will fill under the HLT on the ground, then up to 5-6 ft to mash and drain into my kettle.

I will likely do this instead of a pump for the time being, as I enjoy the mechanics of the rest of my system currently.

My first back to back 5G brews . I lift an pour everyting and and I have to say...my back hurts. LOL.. I don't wanna come off as a wuss or anything ...but I do believe I will need to build/buy a sculpture. Lifting water/wort gets tiresome ay 52!

+1 on back pain after brewing lol! I still have mixed emotions on having a sculpture. I like all the mixing and pouring by hand. I also think those sculptures look cool as heck! At the very least I'd like to still be able to open/close valves by hand. :D I'm just not ready to push a button and watch it all happen automatically.

I use dolly's all the time. The large ones for my 55# boxes of DME...I just roll them into my brewing kitchen from the supply room.

For my full carboys (in milk crates) and primary buckets I use plant dolly's from Walmart...last price check was $5.97. I twist off the locking tab with a pair of pliers and leave it in the up (unlocked) position. ;)

I'm 55, BTW.

Back