Anyone try this temp controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brand is fine. Auber Instruments is a pretty well regarded company in the inexpensive PID category.

You will, however, need to know a little more about how your chest freezer operates to get this to work. If the thermostat uses A/C to turn the compressor on/off (or you want to control the whole thing from the wall cord which is really easy), you will need a solid state relay (SSR) or a contactor to handle the current. A SSR will run $15-$20 the contactor about $10. This one has a thermocouple so you'd be set there.

I like the Johnson Analog model for very cheap temp control. Doesn't have a nice display, but it is cheap :D

Hmm that is about as cheap as I have seen them. Do you have to use a separate thermometer in the freezer to check the temp, or does it have the temp graduations on the controller?

Hmm that is about as cheap as I have seen them. Do you have to use a separate thermometer in the freezer to check the temp, or does it have the temp graduations on the controller?

First off there are no temperature graduations. The PID has a digital readout, and you will be able to read the temperature inside the freezer right off the PID. If you read the description on Ebay, the unit comes with a "K" type Thermocouple. A thermocouple is a simple temperature sensor that will connect to the PID and the other end goes into the freezer. No seperate thermometer is needed. If you decide to purchase the PID, send me a PM when you get it and I will explain how to wire it.

Back