7 gallon carboy for 5 gallons batches...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SowegaBrews

Reaction score
I acquired a 7 gallon glass carboy for free from a relative recently. I plan on using it soon, but I'm somewhat concerned about oxidation because of the amount of head space it will have.

i was thinking about purging the air from the bottle with C02 from my keggerator before I rack from the primary to avoid exposing the beer to air. in theory this would work fine since co2 is heavier than air right?

Don't bother with filling the carboy with CO2, the beer will do that for you. Fermentation releases a large amount of CO2, which will form a protective cushion over your beer. Everything will be just fine, now go enjoy your free carboy! :mug:

I know it produces CO2, but i figured not as much in the 2ndary. Why not go ahead and rack into a CO2 environment instead of air?

There's no good reason not to, other than just wasting the CO2. Even in racking to secondary, there's going to be enough CO2 in suspension in your beer that the process of racking will free some of that up to form the cushion. As long as you aren't planning on bulk aging for >3 months or so, I wouldn't even worry about headspace. But if you really want to use your CO2, it's not going to hurt anything.

Ah sorry I misread. It would be a good idea to purge with Co2 when racking to secondary. I do use a 5 gal bottle for secondary (which I rarely do, I just leave it for 3 weeks in primary then bottle/keg)

Back