Brewers Best Belgian Trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patjofo

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a Brewers Best Belgian Trippel for my second brew. How long should I plan on fermenting it? Is it okay to ferment it strictly in a primary fermenter and not move it to a secondary?

I was going to say 4 weeks in primary until I looked at the recipe. 1.085 OG you might want to secondary it for awhile. Maybe 3 weeks primary, 3-4 secondary and 2-3 months or more bottle condition. But then I haven't made that big a beer..... yet.

The directions weren't very clear. I'd let it sit longer than they describe, but let your hydrometer be the judge.

Brewer’s Best® recommends home brewers
employ the practice of a two-stage fermentation. This will allow your finished beer to have
more clarity and an overall better, purer flavor.
All you need is a 5-gallon carboy, drilled stopper, airlock and siphon setup to transfer the
beer. You will also need to monitor and record
the SG with your hydrometer when the beer is
in the ‘primary’. When the fermentation slows
(5-7 days)
, but before it completes, simply
transfer the beer into the carboy and allow fermentation to finish in the ‘secondary’. Leave
the beer for about two weeks
and then proceed
to Bottling Day.

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1044_Belgian_Tripel.pdf

I'm pretty sure the brewers best instructions are the same for every beer they make so pay no attention to what they say about fermentation time and bottling.

I've got a partial mash tripel in a primary right now.

General rule of thumb by members who have made tripels let it sit for 3 weeks minimum and or up to 6 weeks or longer up to you. NO reason to rack to secondary leave it in the primary.

It should be fully fermented within 7-10 days, I know mine was. I will be leaving mine in the primary for 6 weeks minimum.

Bottle and forget about it for 2 months...:mug:

Be careful about starting these belgian strongs as a newbie! I tried that and could never wait long enough.

To do a Belgian properly, you should leave in primary for some time - perhaps 2 weeks. 4 certainly couldn't hurt. The temp during fermentation should be in the mid-70's or so. Then make it cold, whether in primary or a secondary, for a period of at least a week or up to three months. Then bottle it and wait for at least six months longer. A year is better.

I've done a fair number of Belgians. Whenever I crack a bottle before the nine-month mark, I may be impressed but I always have something to complain about. After nine months? I think I've pretty much nailed it.

Belgians take patience. Make a British beer with a fruity yeast if you want something with a similar profile much sooner. But you really need to do those right, and (nearly) everyone tells you how to do it wrong, and even if done right they fade so quickly... Beer is a harsh mistress at times.

I am thinking of doing a Brewers Best Belgian Trippel for my second brew. How long should I plan on fermenting it? Is it okay to ferment it strictly in a primary fermenter and not move it to a secondary?

Don't forget to rig with a blow-off tube. :)

I'm pretty sure the brewers best instructions are the same for every beer they make so pay no attention to what they say about fermentation time and bottling.

I've got a partial mash tripel in a primary right now.

General rule of thumb by members who have made tripels let it sit for 3 weeks minimum and or up to 6 weeks or longer up to you. NO reason to rack to secondary leave it in the primary.

It should be fully fermented within 7-10 days, I know mine was. I will be leaving mine in the primary for 6 weeks minimum.

Bottle and forget about it for 2 months...:mug:

This probably isn't quite true. It will likely be done bubbling by then but it still needs more time in primary as the yeast work at converting the intermediate compounds that they created during the fast part of the ferment when they had lots of sugars to eat. This part of the ferment cleans up a lot of the off flavors and makes more alcohol but it is a silent process in that no CO2 is produced and you don't see the swirling in the fermenter because the yeast do this part slowly. Do leave it in the primary for the 6 weeks suggested though.

In the meanwhile, buy another fermenter if you don't already have a spare and start another beer, something light color and lower in alcohol because it will be ready to drink before the tripel even with a later start. Wheat beers are good for this as they are ready to drink young.:rockin:

Back