Hmm... I think it needs to ferment more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
First batch, brewed it a week ago. It's an Amber Ale kit. I calculated the boil gravity at 108, and the wort original gravity at 43.2. I forgot to actually measure with the Fermometer... DOH!

Fermentation took off within 3 hours or so, really going at it. After 2 days, the bubbling had pretty much subsided. I used a wine thief to pull out some to measure the gravity at that time, and it was 21. I put on an airlock, and it hasn't seemed to bubble at all since then.

As of today, a lot of sedimentation has taken place- the top 2/3 of the fermenter is definitely clearer than before. I decided to test again- and the gravity is at 20. The beer tastes pretty much the same as it did when I first tested it- definitely beer, and good, but doesn't seem like it's quite there yet. I also calculated that the alcohol content is 2.3%...

So my question is this- do I pitch more yeast? Do I stir to get the yeast back up, and maybe active? Do I wait another week? Do I bottle?

Let me know what other info you need, and thanks.
Here's my brewing log.

Give it time. After that, give it more time. When that's done, give it one more dose of time, and it'll be ready.

You never hear anyone complain that they should have bottled/moved to secondary sooner. People always err on the side of too little time, and it's a shame.

Give it time. After that, give it more time. When that's done, give it one more dose of time, and it'll be ready.

You never hear anyone complain that they should have bottled/moved to secondary sooner. People always err on the side of too little time, and it's a shame.

+1, "Time heals all . . . . beers" isn't that the saying? Well all except corn stalk ale that is.:tank:

Back