FINALLY! My fermentation chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now to just add the relay and hook it to the compressor and.... I start smelling smoke.... A test i ran at least a dozen times, but now it doesn't work. I look around and see this:
View attachment 5556

The neg battery terminal has cooked through. I hope I didn't fry my thermostat... I look around and everything seems to be wired correctly, the only difference between my successful test run and now is the addition to the cooling circuit and the relay, and those are on a different power supply than the thermostat... I think I am done for the day, I will scratch my head over this one tomorrow. Now to spend some time with the neglected feeling SWMBO.

So what caused the cooking? Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere. Everything still going well? No sparks, fires, electrocutions? This is a cool project, and I may get the courage to try it someday. I am a little afraid to do my own electrical work on something like this where you have to modify parts. Changed a light fixture last weekend and was kind of expecting to see smoke afterwards.

I had poor contacts and had not installed any kind of safty fuse, so I ended up drawing a lot of current across the terminal. Unfortunatly this also fried the termostat, so i just got a new one and have been using batteries in them for the last... however long it has been since I have started this thread. As far as all the other electrical stuff, its on relays, so I dont have to worry about frying anything else.

Bringing this one back to life....did you finish the project? stained? painted?

Has it held up over time and what would you change in your plans if you had to rebuild?

What size was your mini-fridge? Looking to do something similar and want to use a 1.7, if I can. Thanks.

My understanding (please correct me if I am wrong anybody) but the compressors on most but the largest mini-fridges are about the same. The one I used was a 2 or 2.5 IIRC, but it has been a few years since I have done this project.

As far as resurrection, I ended up never staining or painting since it has found a home in the garage, but has worked quite well for me over the years. The only problem I have had was recently I have been tripping the GFCI it is plugged into. Since I have been on a all too long hiatus from brewing, this will be looked into once by brewery project gets back on line.

Back