Floor Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FdRotary

Reaction score
I have yet to even start my first batch. Got a kit as a Christmas present as a friend and getting one for myself as well. I am currently in Afghanistan so I am just reading and learning before I get started. I am about to purchase a floor burner and I see Blichman is referenced a lot and if you look up brewing burners on google it is the only one that pops up so I assume, it's good. It is also expensive tho, I have no problem paying for quality but is there any reason something like This won't work?

Blichman is a good burner, efficient and quiet but expensive. The one in the link you posted will work perfectly fine. BTW, Blichman shows up first because they pay to be there:)

Your link goes to Cabela's home page, so I can't tell what you're looking at. If you're just starting you are fine to go with a regular turkey deep fryer set up (which is what I assume Cabela's has). If you move to larger than a five gallon batch you'll want something with more gumption.

Search for bayou classic and you will find plenty of cheaper options.

I use a SQ14 for 11 gallon batches and it works great and was $49 from amazon.

I will go with my philosophy of "I don't have enough money to buy cheap things" and just go straight to the Blichmann. Basically unless someone said "Bilchmann's are overpriced and others will do exact same" I was planning on getting the Blichmann. Worse case scenario if you buy the best, it is easy to re-sell.

And now I see your reply... Time to read some reviews.

I use the same burner and I am satisfied with it. It takes a little bit of fine tuning to get the flame right, but it is very efficient. I do 75- 90 minute boil all grain batches and I get several weekends out of it. You could use the extra money that would go towards a blichmann burner and invest it in a larger brew kettle.

I had a KAB4 burner first (Bayou) and it was ok. Got the Blichmann since I needed a second burner, with long legs (got the longer legs for the Blichmann) and a short time later I sold my KAB4 and got a second Blichmann burner. The are quiet, use less fuel, and the housing is all stainless steel. Some people have modified their Bayou burners to try and replicate the performance of the Blichmann, but that's one area I'm not about to go messing around in. I'd rather get the right one the first time. I actually wish I had not bought the KAB4 first, since I took a loss on it (even though it was only a few months old).

Back