mango nail polish remover anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elielilang

Reaction score
I made my first mead about a month ago. 2 pounds of honey, 16 oz of mango juice and the topped off with water in a 1gal glass growler. It warm here, mid to high 70s. Fermentation still took almost a month with ale yeast, but it fermented out very dry ( .998 ish ). I bottled it in 5 22oz bottles with a little more honey to bottle carb. After I bottled I tasted the dregs and it is really hot! you could strip paint with this stuff... I assume it will condition in the bottles? get better in a year or so? anyone else have this experience? when should I crack the first bottle?

Yes, been there. I have a melon paint thinner aging at the moment. It will definitely improve, though depending on exact yeast and conditions it may or may not lose the alcohol taste completely.

It should improve with lots of time. I made a rendition of JOAM using champagne yeast for higher %. When I racked into the tertiary it tasted really octaine. After ~8 months in the tertiary and now bottled, it tastes great!

It'll all mellow out for you, mostly, fermenting warm like that you may have some fusels that might not fade completely but you should still be decent, try one in 6 months, then a year, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Well done BM, given the title, the first thing I was looking for was a mention of D47 yeast, but as the OP said about ale yeast, I'm unfamiliar with it, so don't know if it produces fusels or not (when fermented too hot).

But it depends on whether the OP is also alluding to "alcohol hot" taste, or a fusel like nail polish taste.

Yet I'd suspect an unusual taste from mango that's had the sugars fermented out as well.

Well done BM, given the title, the first thing I was looking for was a mention of D47 yeast, but as the OP said about ale yeast, I'm unfamiliar with it, so don't know if it produces fusels or not (when fermented too hot).

But it depends on whether the OP is also alluding to "alcohol hot" taste, or a fusel like nail polish taste.

Yet I'd suspect an unusual taste from mango that's had the sugars fermented out as well.

Thanks for all the feedback. The taste is both hot and nailpolishy. i used notingham dry ale yeast. tastes like it got about all the sugars...

Hot is hot... But if it really tastes like volitile organic compounds (VOCs) you may have an acetobacter infection. Be sure to get this right though.. If the nail polish taste is from alcohol, then it is ok; if it truely tastes like glue or nail polish remover then your smelling/tasting the by-product of a batch spoiling bacteria....

before jumping competely head first into the ethyl acetate or acetobactor infection panic and especially before considering dumping the batch lets try some trouble shooting....

First, consider what the OP tasted, not the cleared mead that was bottled, but the "dreggs" as the they put it, the lees, yeast, spent mango sludge.

Second, they didn't mention any change in smell or clarity, if it went from clear one day to cloudy, milky, funky the next then the infection would be higher up the list of possible issues.

They have hot, heat, ethyl, normal for a green mead, no fear there.

No mention of acetic acid (vinegar) smell or flavor, another point off for the acetobactor.

Was the juice 100% pure, not from concentrate nothing added? could be somethinhg there that gave the sludge off flavors.

I'd be curious about an update in a month or so if they crack open a bottle.

before jumping competely head first into the ethyl acetate or acetobactor infection panic and especially before considering dumping the batch lets try some trouble shooting....

First, consider what the OP tasted, not the cleared mead that was bottled, but the "dreggs" as the they put it, the lees, yeast, spent mango sludge.

Second, they didn't mention any change in smell or clarity, if it went from clear one day to cloudy, milky, funky the next then the infection would be higher up the list of possible issues.

They have hot, heat, ethyl, normal for a green mead, no fear there.

No mention of acetic acid (vinegar) smell or flavor, another point off for the acetobactor.

Was the juice 100% pure, not from concentrate nothing added? could be somethinhg there that gave the sludge off flavors.

I'd be curious about an update in a month or so if they crack open a bottle.

thanks brewing medic. this is good advice. This is my first mead, i brew alot of beer, so compared to beer the mead tastes really hot. i dont think the batch was infected. no vinegar, taste, 100% pasteurized juice with no additives or preservatives. i think a hot ferment, dry, green mead, and tasting the dregs is the culprit. I do think time will help. I will let you all know how it turns out in the fall.

Back