Blonde ale question about what type of hops to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojandux

Reaction score
I am brewing a blonde this weekend and I had some questions regarding the hops, and any type of recipe critique would be greatly . I am debating using Brewers Gold, or Fuggles.

Ashley's Blonde

2lbs Light dry malt extract
2lbs American 2 row
1lb Vienna
1lb Corn Sugar

.75oz 60 min of Brewers Gold 9.7% or 1oz of Fuggles 6.7%

Whitelabs Kolsh yeast

OG 1.043
IBus in the low 20's.

What type of flavor profile will these hops give the brew and or does it even really matter?

Thanks for your help

Scott

I've never brewed with Brewers Gold but I typically don't care much for Fuggles. Kind of earthy/musty.

If it were me I'd choose a Noble hop like Hallertau.

I've never brewed with Brewers Gold but I typically don't care much for Fuggles. Kind of earthy/musty.

If it were me I'd choose a Noble hop like Hallertau.

I agree. Although, you'll get very little hop character from only a bittering addition, fuggles tastes "dirty" to me and I dislike it. A clean neutral bittering hop would be the way to go in a blonde.

Yooper said:
I agree. Although, you'll get very little hop character from only a bittering addition, fuggles tastes "dirty" to me and I dislike it. A clean neutral bittering hop would be the way to go in a blonde.

I've heard quite a few people say that, but they taste and smell great to me. How do you feel about the hops that are close in style? Something like willamette or goldings.

TimTrone said:
I've heard quite a few people say that, but they taste and smell great to me. How do you feel about the hops that are close in style? Something like willamette or goldings.

Willamette are ok. Kind of like Fuggles on steroids. I'm not crazy about them but they are an ok hop. Have you thought about Amarillo? ;)

Though I tremble to contradict Da Yooper, in recipes containing grists like this flavors from bittering-only additions can come through prominently. It depends on how assertive the flavor from the hops. Amarillo, for example, will be definitely noticeable.

I think a relatively low-flavor, less-assertive variety like Fuggles or Willamette (a Fuggles cross bred in America) will be fine, especially if the addition is relatively small. An ounce or less in five US gallons should show very little flavor in the finished beer.

Cheers,

Bob

I decided to go with the Brewers Gold. Maybe in the future I can try with Fuggles and test it out.

Thanks everyone.

Scott

Back