Which comercial beer make good bottles for using a two lever capper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverAnalyst

Reaction score
With my Carlsberg Export bottles the capper can slip on the very round gripping ring under the crown. Are there any commercial beer in the uk that I could buy that would have nice easy gripping rings?

Do a search, this topic comes up at least once a month.

The best bottles I've found are Stiegel. They are 500mL and with a little StarSan and warm water, the labels come off faster than panties on prom night.

Basically, you are looking for this:

6513-GoodBottle.JPG

Hope that helps.

in my rookie opinion...

i like corona bottles because they are clear and i like to look at my beer for clarity. also mexican glass is a little thicker because down there they just re-fill old bottles at the brewery. but there is no way to get the labels off. newcastle bottles are also nice and clear, and emptying them is much more fun than buying glass at the LHBS. just be sure to keep clear bottles in the dark when you are not admiring the color and clarity.

also most small brewery bottles, like local microbrews, usually have decent bottles and their labels come off much easier than the big commercial brewers.

I use Sam Adams bottles most succesullf but I don't know about availability in the UK.
I consistenly break the Fat Tire bottles.

Sam Adams, New Belgium, Hoegaarden, Saranac, Wild Goose, DFH, Sierra Blanca, and many other micros. Sierra Nevada is going to pop tops (I haven't seen one yet). Anchor is still twist off.

I've never broken a bottle while capping, and I've never had to re-seal, either. Don't be afraid of using a bit of force, just make sure it's slow and even.

Grolsch flip tops eliminate your capping woes.

Yuri_Rage said:
Anchor is still twist off.

Huh?

All the bottles I have bought are pop tops. They are the big sort of bowling pin shaped (for lack of a better description) 22 oz. (I think) ones. Do they bottle 12 oz. ones that are screw caps? I have only ever seen the big bottles.

knights of Gambrinus said:
Huh?

All the bottles I have bought are pop tops. They are the big sort of bowling pin shaped (for lack of a better description) 22 oz. (I think) ones. Do they bottle 12 oz. ones that are screw caps? I have only ever seen the big bottles.

yes :cross:

knights of Gambrinus said:
Do they bottle 12 oz. ones that are screw caps? I have only ever seen the big bottles.
The 12 oz'ers that come in Anchor six packs are twist off - a shame, since they're kinda cool looking.

I have one six pack of Anchor bottles that are not twist off from before they switched over a couple years ago. The 22's are still pull top. They are a cool shape. I wish they were not twist off.

Yuri_Rage said:
I've never broken a bottle while capping, and I've never had to re-seal, either. Don't be afraid of using a bit of force, just make sure it's slow and even.
I had one bottle top shear off about an inch and a half below the top while capping. A clean break. There must have been something defective with the bottle beacuse it's never happened again.

Back