non-standard bottle shapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattD

Reaction score
Hey yall, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a place where you could buy bottles other than the standard 12 or 22 oz. cylinder shape. I'd like to get some bottles shaped like flasks, or square bottles, or just anything that might be kinda visually interesting. Has anyone seen any online dealers who sell this kinda thing?

Drink a lot of Duvels and save the bottles (that's been my plan! :) ).

But seriously, the 11 oz squatty Belgian bottles are pretty cool looking, and I always get questions about them when I break out my homebrew.

Are the small Duvels capped or corked? Or are they corked but then you can cap them later?

I like drinking the big Belgians, but the store across the street has a lot of smaller options.

The Duvels are capped and hold a cap very well.

I've read that certain European bottles have a smaller diameter than U.S. bottles, such that a recapped bottle may not seal sufficiently tight. But I've been using these for almost a year and never noticed a problem.

I'm interested in the same question as the OP. For example, DFH's imperial pilsner (Golden Shower) comes in a really nice, capped, wine bottle; I'd love to find a case of those. I'd love to be able to get some smooth bottles like the ones Anchor Steam used (even moreso now that Anchor has gone to twist-offs). Just bought a rauchbier that came in a similar-type bottle.

The best I've been able to find for things that are a little unusual are cappable champagne bottles, but there's got to be a source for some things that are a little quirky. Ideas?

As stated, Belgian beers are a great sort of unusual bottles. Here's a couple I'm using (though these aren't my pics)

sterkenspoorter.jpg

piraat.jpg

And these ST. Peters bottles are flask style, though you can't tell...
stpetersflasks.jpg

Of course if you want to get a lot of them, it can get pricy, but it sure is more fun than buying empties :cross:

It's not really an unusual shape, but I thought about experimenting with some glass-etching stuff to sort of glaze the bottom portion of the bottles. It won't change their boring shape, but it will at least be more interesting to look at. :)

Wolf said:
As stated, Belgian beers are a great sort of unusual bottles. Here's a couple I'm using (though these aren't my pics)

[
piraat.jpg

And these ST. Peters bottles are flask style, though you can't tell...
I gave away 4 cases of bottles that looked like these. They were from the defunct Tivoli Brewery that was in downtown Denver. They had to be about 40 years old. Some of them still had beer (mold) and cigarettes in them. They still had their labels and were in Tivoli boxes. I'm wishing I still had them

I'm interested in the same question as the OP. For example, DFH's imperial pilsner (Golden Shower) comes in a really nice, capped, wine bottle; I'd love to find a case of those.
My LHBS sells cappable wine bottles. I used them to bottle two beers I brewed for my Sister-In-Law's wedding. I corked, capped on top of the cork and dipped in bottle wax.
Wedding Beers.jpeg
You can order them online as well.
http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/1040

Hmm... the only cap-able ones I see are the ones I have found, the tiny bottles and the green champagne bottles. The ones you have look really nice, I'd love to be able to find more like that.

Friend of mine works at an italian grocery which stocks italian bottled water. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the water, but the bottles are 33 ounces and take a cap perfectly. I like to use them for parties and mead gifts.

i have one of those stone grolsch style bottles in the pic... i luv it, i wish i could find more...

my wife's bought some olive oil in funky shaped grolsch style bottles as well, pretty neat...

Back