First brew report, & question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottis

Reaction score
I thought the moderators and readers might like a change from the usual problems and calls for help.
Our first batch turned out GREAT! I did a lot of reading here and asked a few questions, so Thanks to all of you for your tips and advice!!

Yep, We're hooked on homebrew!!! When I read the statements along the lines "Once you try home brew, you'll never go back to store bought." Well, I thought that might be a little exaggeration.... Well it wasn't!

I can't believe I used to drink some of that stuff...:confused:

'scuse me, I'll try to contain my enthusiasm.:rockin::mug:

Ok, someone asked me a question at work, they wanted to know if you (I) could make "High brew" by just pouring a 5th of ever-clear into the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar, then bottling. (?)
Would that kill the yeast? I've read on here that some yeasts tolerate higher ABVs then others, or would it just ruin the taste?
The question just had me curious...

Love the site guys!!!
Thanks, Ottis

yea 40 - 60% alcohol would probably kill the yeast. thats 10.24 - 15.36 fluid ounces of pure alcohol you are adding to your brew. that would raise your ABV by 8 - 12% above what it already is. that would exceed most yeasts alcohol tolerances.

as far as the taste goes i don't know.

Otis,

Noticed your day job and thought you might like this. Have you read John Palmer's "How to Brew"? Toward the end he lists different types of beer and then gives a recipe for that type. His recipe for Steam Beer is called "No 4 Shay Steam". Thought you might like that.

You could calculate what you're ABV is and probably add "Turbo Yeast" or "Distillers Yeast" for bottling if you wanted to do that. You'd only be adding a little back to the bottling bucket for the bottle conditioning, and it wouldn't impart any flavor to the beer anyway.

Otis,

Noticed your day job and thought you might like this. Have you read John Palmer's "How to Brew"? Toward the end he lists different types of beer and then gives a recipe for that type. His recipe for Steam Beer is called "No 4 Shay Steam". Thought you might like that.

Cool! That's one recipe I just gotta' try!

Edit;
I had John Palmer's "How to Brew" bookmarked but hadn't finished reading it, That's just gotta' be karma calling me!
"The coal shoveler's Beer"!! LOL!!

219s0vn.jpg

Latest posts

Back