Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've broken at least two and possibly three hydrometers in my day. Eventually I settled on a refractometer, even for my FG readings, wherein I use Sean Terrill's software to assist in correcting my FG.

looks like we missed one from Kayts (Aug 15), and with ABI Brewery (above) contributing 7, that gets us to: 2313.
I'm glad someone keeps score! ;)
I am on my third in 3 years. I am glad i discovered the joy of using a refractometer or it would be many more by now.
It looks like these 2 weren't added in either.

We're now at: 2315

With refractometers going for $19 to $23, why bother with a hydrometer?

The worst hydrometers from a reliability standpoint are the plastic ones. And sooner rather than later they leak and fill up with beer.

With refractometers going for $19 to $23, why bother with a hydrometer?
For accurate measurement of FG.

Whatever refractometer correction formulas I use, I rarely get to my exact hydrometer reading, which itself is being corrected by subtracting 2 points from the bottom meniscus reading.

I do use the refractometer to detect changes in gravity, for example, when dry hopping during active fermentation (the 30-70% point) and toward the end to determine that fermentation has actually completed. One drop a time does have a lot of charm.

Poor calibration and quality control has been reported. Also plenty of eventual leaks at the glue seam. What they really need is a plastic weld seam.
Ah, glued, that explains a lot!

I've never seen a live sample of the plastic ones, NB and MW are the only places that seem to sell them and I don't give them my business. I have also little need for a plastic version since I take good care of my glass ones. I've broken a nice one in my early brew days (already accounted for here), it torpedoed down in the wine thief and bottomed out. Just a stupid mistake rookies can make. ;)

Thanks for the analysis!

Ah, glued, that explains a lot!
NB and MW are the only places that seem to sell them and I don't give them my business. ;)

I totally get that!.. I tried and tried to find another vendor that had a plastic model.. like you, I couldn't find one.. this ONE TIME.. (I NEVER support beer voltron - http://www.master-minds.net/brewerylist/fake_beers.html ) I decided to allow myself to line the pockets of Budweiser this one time and buy a plastic hydrometer. I had run through 3 glass ones in such a short time.. I was sick of dealing with it. I tried to make up for it by buying 3 6's of local beer from Tupps (Mckinney Texas).

As far as the hydrometer goes.. it has been fine so far.. I have no complaints. I don't understand why other companies haven't come up with a competing product. With all the engineering prowess, we have these ridiculously fragile little hydrometers. Go figure..

Broke 2 this year after not breaking any for the first 8 years

Tally: 2321

Last edited by a moderator:
at least my Grad cylinder is plastic. Went ahead and ordered 2 this time.

Ha! No doubt.

Well, I broke my second test jar, even if they're plastic they don't like a 5-foot drop onto concrete. Ordered two more! Doesn't add to the count, still waiting for the next hydrometer oopsie.....

I have my original triple scale hydro from 1999, still accurate and totally intact (I've noted it before and the jinx didn't take, so I think I'm ok :))
Otoh, I've gone through 5 freakin' sampling cylinders, the original glass one that I barely ticked on the sink edge, and the last four acrylic models - that are 98% as fragile as glass, imo. And shatter on a tile floor just as thoroughly.

I finally bought a refract from Bobby_M years ago. Haven't dropped or drowned it yet...

Cheers!

And now for something a bit different: I once poured rather hot wort directly into a glass hydrometer tube on a cold day and the tube immediately shattered on the spot. Definitely not Pyrex like a good test tube.

Original brew kit normal hydrometer. 2339.
But the two swanky limited-rang hydrometers are doing ok.
I agree with @day_trippr - those stinking acrylic test cylinders crack if you look at the cross-eyed. They really get annoyed when you shake out water drops and discover the careful arc of your swing intersects with the plane of the quartz countertop.

RIP 1st hydrometer 2015-2018. Bumped it and it slid out of the case. Didnt find out till today when i went to use it and the broken end stabbed my hand.

Back