Bottle Conditioning a Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glavin

Reaction score
I have a Stone Ruination Clone (I'll post recipe if needed)

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.016

It spent 3 weeks in Primary and 3 weeks in secondary with a dry hop. It has been in bottles stored at 70degrees for 4 weeks now.

My question: To bring out the full potential of a beer do they need to be continually stored at a higher temp 65-70? Or is it fine to store them in the fridge at a temp of 32-35?

I also have a wine fridge I can set to any temperature if neither the 65-70 nor the 32-35 are ideal.

My best results with a big IPA like that have been to transfer them into the fridge for a couple weeks after your initial bottle conditioning. It really worked to clear the beer up for me from previous batches that I drank sooner as well. Still, it's an IPA so drink 'em up pretty young. The aromatics dissipate over time.

I have a Stone Ruination Clone (I'll post recipe if needed)

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.016

It spent 3 weeks in Primary and 3 weeks in secondary with a dry hop. It has been in bottles stored at 70degrees for 4 weeks now.

My question: To bring out the full potential of a beer do they need to be continually stored at a higher temp 65-70? Or is it fine to store them in the fridge at a temp of 32-35?

I also have a wine fridge I can set to any temperature if neither the 65-70 nor the 32-35 are ideal.

You need to kep it at 70 degrees if you want it to fully carb and condition, more than liekly it's NOT carbed yet, and if it is it still probably taste rocket fuel-ish....My 1.090 Belgian didn't carb for three months (mostly because the ambient temp of my place was low 60's over the winter) but it still needed 6 months to mellow out.

They don't call this beer "Ruination" because it's pi$$ water. It's gonna need plenty of warm/ambient time to mellow.

Don't put the yeast into a dormant state by cooling 'em off now...let them have the temp to work at.

:mug:

Wow.......

Lazy Llama came up with a great chart to help us all know when something is ready...

chart.jpg

I think a 1.080 OG is gonna lean towards the "love you long time" side of the scale. ;)

Another win for the Reverend. xD

I actually have a batch of Ruination clone conditioning myself-they've been bottled since the 15th, and after tasting one just now, it definitely needs more time. (Does a screaming green apple taste strike fear into your heart? It should.)

Definitely a 5-6-weeker at least. :p

Thanks for all the input

Just cracked one open and it tastes amazing, but I'll keep the rest at 70 for 2 more weeks.

Back