Sorry, but yet another timing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
I have my first batch in the primary just short of a week. The bubbling has slowed to once every 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, but the krausen has completely fallen. Should I rack to secondary now or wait for a longer interval on the bubbling? Thanks again!:confused:

you could rack, but I would give it the full week, just to allow more primary debris to fall out. If it is a scheduling conflict, there is no harm in racking now.

If it's one or 2 bubbles a minute I say rack it! You want a little bit of yeast to still be active to eat any oxygen that may find it's way into your beer while transfering. BYO says to rack at 80% of the way through fermentation. How you are suppose to figure out when 80% is I have no idea.

HurricaneFloyd said:
If it's one or 2 bubbles a minute I say rack it! You want a little bit of yeast to still be active to eat any oxygen that may find it's way into your beer while transfering. BYO says to rack at 80% of the way through fermentation. How you are suppose to figure out when 80% is I have no idea.

Hydro readings maybe? I'd be concerned about taking frequent hydro readings just to determine when to rack though, as I have absolutely no doubt that I could do a far more thorough job in sanitation that what I actually manage. I'm interested in opinions on this though cuz my current batch is OG 1.102 (estimated) and FG 1.021 so at an ABV of 10% I'd be worried about my yeast being able to restart after racking to secondary. Maybe they can handle it though!

Man, that's a big beer.

Aren't you supposed to wait until most of the fermentation is complete before racking since the secondary is really only a clearing tank and not another fermentation per se? Everything I've read says to take hydrometer reading on two consecutive days, if the reading doesn't change, it's time to rack.

Back