Handheld CO2 keg charger w/ 2L PET adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
I have a handheld CO2 keg charger w/ CO2 cartriges but cant seem to get my 2-liter bottles to carb up. I leave about 3 inches or so of space from the top, squeeze out the air then pull the trigger until the bottle is very firm. I shake it about and the bottle starts to suck in again as it is supposed to. I do this over and over until the bottle no longer sucks in and feels very tight. Then I remove the charger and cap and put the regular cap back on. I stick in fridge. Not even 15 minutes later there is no bubbly. Whats going on with it?

Thanks-

TxT

First of all, get the beer very cold before you start. Then try it. Also, don't remove the cap and put the regular cap back on. When you take off the cap, you let out the co2 that isn't absorbed into the beer yet. Leave the charger cap on it, and about 15-20 minutes later, give it another shot. It should help.

Yes, leave the charger cap on and refrigerate it for 24 hours or more - you did everything else right. Give it a shot if the bottle softens up. After a day or two of being refrigerated under pressure, you should be able to put the regular cap back on and it will hold carbonation pretty well (as long as it stays cold).

you don't need days of chilling if you start it out cold - just give it a 5-10 minute rest after you last shake it, just like you would let a commercial bottle of soda rest if you shook it.

If the bottle doesn't soften when shaking, the liquid isn't absorbing any more CO2, so you just need to let it settle.

Back