DFH Midas Touch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno

Reaction score
I cannot find this stuff anywhere. Is it worth cloning? Is this something that a SWMBO may like? I need to try it. Sounds like it is good :confused:

It's different....definitely not for everyone! It's like 9% I believe and very sweet. My SWMBO does not like it and will drink most things, but leans toward dry rather than sweet. I bought a 4 pack a while back and it lasted me 3 months I believe. Not something I want to drink every day.

Yea, it is good, but I have a problem with paying so much for a darn four pack of beer. In Pennsylvania for instance, a four pack of DFH 90 minute is $15!

I kinda like the stuff. I think it tastes like a malty wine. Definitely not for everyone.

I enjoy a Midas Touch every now and again. It is certainly one of the most unique tasting beers that I have tasted. As far as making a clone I would try it out and see if you like it before even thinking about making a clone of it. If I made a 5 gallon batch it would last forever. Not something that is easily drank everynight.

Like they said, it's not for everyone. I wasn't too keen on it when I had it. Best to try it before you clone it...if you can't find it, look harder. But I definitely wouldn't make a 5 gallon batch of it before trying it out.

I think its good stuff one of my favorite beers, 5 gal would definitely last a long time though. It's only about $12 a 4-pack here in my part of VA.

I like it, but I agree, not something you want every night, and a full batch would be hard to get through. Also, it calls for saffron, which is the world's most expensive spice.

I'm also not a big fan of Midas Touch. I'll drink it, but as echoed by others above, it lasts a looooong time for 4 bottles. Same with their Raison d' Whatever. I wasn't terribly impressed. Actually, come to think of it, I'm not a big fan of the 90-minute Imperial IPA either. All of them are just heavy. Don't get me wrong, I like strong beer (I'm a big Barleywine fan, for example,) but most of the DFH I've tried has been mediocre compared to some of the better stuff coming out of some other breweries these days imho. Maybe I just tried all the wrong stuff. . .

I'll have to disagree with pretty much everyone above, I'm weird I guess. I find it goes down rather easy, despite the high ABV and sweetness. It's certainly more drinkable than most wines, IMO.

A bit off track, but mostly on...

My local beer store just got a few cases of this, but the bottled on date is something like 05/2008. I thought it was weird because it came in at the same time as some 90 min that was bottled something like 03/2009. Is this stuff supposed to be over a year old, or do I just have a crappy distributor?

I've had one bottle of it because of the cost and local availability. I'd drink it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the comments..I'll try to find it and try it out first. I'd hate to tie up a keg with something that will only be drank every now and then.

I love it. SWMBO loves it. DFH isn't distributed in MO, so I have to drive to IL to pick it up. Of course, that goes for 90 minute, Raison d'Etre, and everything else too.

I hadn't had it since moving to MO until a few weeks ago. We used to drink it frequently. This latest 4 pack is much drier than I remember. I thought they might have changed the recipe, mashed lower, used more aggressive yeast, something. I remember it being almost cloying. This batch isn't.

Can anyone confirm? Have you had one recently? It actually made sense to me that they might change. I've read a bunch of nasty reviews of it, most saying it's too sweet.

?

When I drank the first sip of the stuff I thought "Ambrosia!" On my second sip I thought it was really sweet. On the third and every subsequent sip I thought it was like drinking straight corn syrup. Way too sweet! Then I realized the problem. They did not have hops 2700 years ago so there are zero hops in the beer to balance the sweetness.

I would never ever want 5 gallons of this stuff in my house. Maybe 12 ounces so that I can split it with 5 friends and then get back to drinking actual beer.

Yeah I believe the Germans were some of the first to use hops. This BYO clone recipe does have hops in it. I would imagine the stuff King Midas drank was really sweet. They had a good show on the History channel about brewing. They said the Egyptians brewed 60 different types of beer, or beer like beverages and had an export business that would still rival Munichs exporting. They had it going on!! :rockin:

They said the Egyptians brewed 60 different types of beer, or beer like beverages and had an export business that would still rival Munich's exporting. They had it going on!! :rockin:

Time to start replicating Nile brewing water?

Time to start replicating Nile brewing water?

I've been on the Nile doing felucca boat trip and I'd say it would be easy to replicate the water. Start by taking a dump and proceed to use the self conditioned water. :D
I'm sure it was better back in the day

IMO, Midas Touch is another one of those Dogfish beers that you try once and never have again. Seems that DFH has a lot of those :) I can appreciate the creativeness of the beer but wouldn't drink it on a regular basis.

Back