Temperature controller installation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
Okay, so I attempted to build the keezer this weekend and have attached the collar to the lid. My question is, how do I cleanly install my love temperature controller. Do I run the freezer's power source cord up the side of the freezer, into the collar, into the controller, then have the power supply go out of the collar, then out to the wall? I was wondering if this is how it was done. Also, wouldn't there be a slack issue when I open the lid? I am just confused and am almost considering selling my half wired love controller for a simple prewired controller than can just lie on the floor. Please help me... This frustration is almost unbearable.

Thanks,

STAD

It's a good question really, tonight SWMBO and I are going on a double date (yay...) but we are going to get to watch Appaloosa, which is a good thing. But regardless, my sobriety is no excuse...

Don't sell the love controller. Although you can do pretty much the same thing from Northern Brewers prewired setup for $80 you can additionally tweak settings on the love controller you already have. Tomorrow I will post some pictures of my setup. Which is literally an $8 extension cord from Wal-mart that I spliced the Love into. I also have a $5 project box from Radio Shack that I will be using in the future using to make it a fancy plug in box just like the more expensive Northern Brewer option (although that option requires no wiring)

I run my setup identical to any of the prewired setups. That is I plug the freezer into my Love controller w/extension cord and plug that into the wall. Currently as you will see in the pics tomorrow, my controller is sitting on my freezer and not a very pretty setup but it gets the job done and maintains temperature which is really what its all about.

Ok, I took the picutres tonight cause I'm not going to bed for a while anyways
Pics and their explanations

yunus89115

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/yunus89115/?action=view&current=P1100003.jpg
The overall setup from a distance so you can see what it looks like for me.
yunus89115

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/yunus89115/?action=view&current=P1100006.jpg
A closeup of the back of the love controller. Wires 1 and 2 are easy, they go to the thermometer thingy that came with Love, I put it under the fermenter bucket handle in the freezer so it gives a close to wort temperature reading. Wire 7 (the white wire) is spliced from the extension cord plugged into the wall. It goes to both the love controller and the other part of the splice continues on to the white wire in the extension cord that goes to the freezer. Wire 8 is the black wire on the extension cord coming from the wall outlet that I cut and plugged into the wire 8 position on the Love. Then I used another wire to basically run a jumper from position 8 to position 10. Wire 11 is the other half of the black wire that I cut to go to position 8. It is what carries the power to the freezer when Love says it needs to be on, it is the second half of the wire that I cut to go to wire 8. The green wire you see in the pic is uncut. It is the ground and it goes on just as if the Love controller did not exist it always provides ground to the freezer.
yunus89115

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/yunus89115/?action=view&current=P1100008.jpg
This is a picture of the fancy box that I will eventually wire my Love controller into. The hole is where Love fits and there will be a female power plug coming out of one side (input power) and a temp sensor coming out another hole and as you can see on top will be a standard wall plug which will be the output power(where you plug the freezer into).
yunus89115

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/yunus89115/?action=view&current=IMG_0579.jpg
As you can see in this picture, my dog has stuck her head in a small bathroom trash can and now she can't get the lid off her head. I laughed for quite a while after seeing this. I took it off her head right after the picture and she has not made that mistake again.

One last note. If you need help with wiring, PM me tomorrow I will be available to call you and help out. I know it seems tough but once you do it, you will see how easy it is.

Yunus, thanks for the pictures and offered help as far as wiring goes. I see that yours is currently sitting on top of your lid. I too, can achieve this. However, I wanted to figure out a way to build it into the collar. Can this be done with your project box, or will that be mounted elsewhere?

oh sorry I misunderstood the question. (Little to much Homebrew)

Yeah the project box could be mounted cleanly onto the collar but I doubt the collar is thick enough to mount it flush. I plan on mounting my controls on the wall behind the fridge. You might also look into plain old electrical wiring boxes at home depot. They are designed to mount up next to a wooden beam.

Okay, so I figured out where, and how I'm going to mount the love controller. I'm going to have it mounted in the front, then run the wires up to the top of the lid, and out the back. This way, when I open it, I won't need a bunch of slack on the wires. The only thing now is.... The power cord for the freezer is on the side of the freezer, not the back. So I would essentially have to run the power cord up the side and around the back. I was hoping to avoid this if at all possible because of the poor look of many cords around the side and back of this thing.

Thank you. I knew it was an easy solution, but I am not what one would call a handy man. Haha, I'm good with computers and numbers... Lame.

Latest posts

Back