Inline Flow Control Valve from Keg Connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gameface

Reaction score
Saw the awesome giveaway and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this thing?

My son just turned 14 and I want to do something to secure my taps. I know this valve isn't for that but I wanted to pair it with an inexpensive electronic shut off valve and a DIY arduino password setup. The problem I have is that there really aren't many options for a shut off valve in 3/16", so I've been concerned that a larger valve will cause foaming issues. Wondering if I put the shut off before the flow control will the flow control be able to stop any foaming issues?

Besides my desired use for this item, I welcome any general thoughts or experience.

In_line_flow_control_valve__78982.1443223637.1280.1280.jpg

http://www.kegconnection.com/inline-flow-control/

It's not super cheap, but seems like a quality item.

I just made a simple circuit to shoot pressurized mixed drinks out of my picnic tap using an on switch, an ice maker solonoid valve and a momentary on switch . I have not tried it with beer as of yet . I don't see why it won't work with beer it has 1/4 in input and outputs on it. I want to install it in my kegerator so I can use the push button to dispense beer. You can switch out the main toggle switch for a keyed switch to keep pesky young finger off of the tap

I just made a simple circuit to shoot pressurized mixed drinks out of my picnic tap using an on switch, an ice maker solonoid valve and a momentary on switch . I have not tried it with beer as of yet . I don't see why it won't work with beer it has 1/4 in input and outputs on it. I want to install it in my kegerator so I can use the push button to dispense beer. You can switch out the main toggle switch for a keyed switch to keep pesky young finger off of the tap

Sounds pretty cool.

I want to have a 5 button code activate all my NC valves for a set amount of time (probably 5min) so that when I want to pour a beer I have to punch in a quick series of button presses. If I was having guests over I could quickly adjust the time so that I can unlock the taps for the duration of the evening.

Seems simple enough but I haven't really jumped into the actual design or programming of it yet.

For this thread I'm really interested in how the flow control has worked for people and if it will really allow me to run short lines, pass through a 1/4" solenoid valve and still pour without excessive foaming.

If you're programming it from scratch then setup two codes - one for 5 mins and one for X hours. Or better yet allow for additional digits after the code for a time over-ride. So just the code gives you 5 mins of activation and the code plus 120 would give you two hours.

If you're programming it from scratch then setup two codes - one for 5 mins and one for X hours. Or better yet allow for additional digits after the code for a time over-ride. So just the code gives you 5 mins of activation and the code plus 120 would give you two hours.

That's a good idea.

I've been putting this project off because I was pretty sure I'd just create uncontrollable foam issues. This project has got me back into doing this thing. I just need to know if they actually work or not.

A number of guys using raspberrypints are using flow meters that are 1/4" or 1/2". The flow meters have the same problem with foaming that you are concerned with. They are able to overcome foaming issues by placing the flow meter very close to the keg. This way the beer settles back down as it travels through the remaining 10+ feet of beer line before hitting the tap. Some guys have said they needed to extend the beer line between the flow meter and tap.

Guys that didn't read the forum posts first and installed their meters closer to the tap than the keg reported foaming issues.

So long story short you should be able to do what you are looking to do without the fancy flow control valve. Just place the solenoid close to the keg.

A number of guys using raspberrypints are using flow meters that are 1/4" or 1/2". The flow meters have the same problem with foaming that you are concerned with. They are able to overcome foaming issues by placing the flow meter very close to the keg. This way the beer settles back down as it travels through the remaining 10+ feet of beer line before hitting the tap. Some guys have said they needed to extend the beer line between the flow meter and tap.

Guys that didn't read the forum posts first and installed their meters closer to the tap than the keg reported foaming issues.

So long story short you should be able to do what you are looking to do without the fancy flow control valve. Just place the solenoid close to the keg.

thanks!

Back