Hello from West Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzomerlei

Reaction score
Greetings all!
I have been lurking here for a month or so. My brother has piqued my interest in home brewing. He has been brewing for seven years or so and I joined him a few weeks ago to brew an oatmeal stout. I'm eager to get into the hobby, but am spending some time researching options here before deciding what to buy. I'm a computer geek, so I'm interested in the automation that numerous members have incorporated in their brew rigs. There is certainly a large group of creative people here.

Brent

Hi Brent!

Welcome to Homebrewtalk and the hobby (make that obsession) of homebrewing and good beer.

Welcome. Make sure to join the Michigan Mashers by clicking on the link in my sig.

Welcome and hello from a fellow west michigander - I'm just a short trip down Chicago Drive in Zeeland.

Welcome and hello from a fellow west michigander - I'm just a short trip down Chicago Drive in Zeeland.

Yeah, I saw you are from Zeeland in a thread about your fermentation chamber conversion. Are there any decent home brew shops in Zeeland/Holland area, or do you drive into Grand Rapids?

Based on your profile, we have a bit in common, I also have four kids and a Harley :rockin:

Brent

Yeah, I saw you are from Zeeland in a thread about your fermentation chamber conversion. Are there any decent home brew shops in Zeeland/Holland area, or do you drive into Grand Rapids?

Based on your profile, we have a bit in common, I also have four kids and a Harley :rockin:

Brent

None around Holland that I'm aware of. If I was more of an entrepeneur I'd consider opening one. I go to Siciliano's in Standale which sounds like a long ways away but turns out to be only 20 min from my home. Probably even closer to Jenison. I'm stopping there tonight on my way home from work.

If your kids are young like mine (2,3,4,6) it makes it difficult to find time to brew (and ride)!!!

My brother recommended Siciliano's too. My boys are older, 12, 14, 16, and 18, so I do get to ride when ever the weather allows.

Welcome from a former Holland resident, currently in exile in SE Michigan.

Sicilianos Market is awesum! I live in Reed City and try to get my stuff there. Yeah, it's a bit of a drive, but they got nearly everything, and they are very helpful too.

Heading to Siciliano's this week I think. I scored a great Craig's List find and got about $650 (if purchased new) worth of equipment for $120!

If my weld-less fittings come in this week, I hope to brew Saturday.
Brent

So many Michigan homebrewers! If only I knew there was so much good local brew abounding when I lived in GR!

Hi Brent, I live just west of Alma. We'll be in GR this w/e. B&SiL live in Wyoming, MiL in Hooterville

Wow, lots of folks in the West Michigan area.

I broke my equipment in today. I went 'all in' and did an all grain recipe for my first time. I had my brother helping the whole way, he as been brewing a while now so that helped a lot.

I did an American Wheat style. I hit Brew Smith's target gravity for both pre boil and touch high on the post boil. My home built counter flow chiller was amazing, I needed to throttle the flow to next to nothing the initial output from the chiller was about 60 degrees. I ended up with the carboy at about 75 degrees.

I cleaned everything up and went to the Griffin's hockey game (they beat Philadelphia Phantoms 4-0)

There was no visible activity yet, I'll check progress tomorrow...

Here's hoping everything works out

-Brent

I lived in Standale for 3 years and loved going to Siciliano's. Prior to that I went to B and B liquors on 28th Street (in '96-'98). Is B and B still around and do they still sell homebrew supplies? I grew up in West Michigan, but moved down the Chicago land 2 years ago for work, as well as this being my wife's home area. Just wondering how the brewing scene is going up there.

Back