80 gallon steam boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what something like this is worth? I just bought one, it's stainless has what looks like a 1 1/2" stainless bottom drain. the outside is not stainless, but the kettle is. Just wondering what something like this is worth. I am not going to say what I paid for it, just yet anyway.:p
I dont have picts yet. I will post some picts when I pick it up, prolly friday.

It should be worth it, they are very, very expensive! Is it in working order?

The steam generator I will have to come up with, or build, This is just the kettle.
yes it looks like it would be in working order.
It is just the kettle and the legs. all looks ok. A little rust on the outside of the kettle, the jacketed part, but nothing bad.

sounds like something outta a commerical kitchen. they are pretty pricey but nice. i 2 have thought about gettin 1 of them but couldn't find 1 that would be even close to reasonable for me.

Well 3 points
1. Mine isn't a tippy -$$$$
2. Mine is used -$$$$
3 Mine is not stainless outside -$$$$

BTW that is a killer deal on those 2 kettles.

Don't we deserve a picture yet?

I'm sure that's why everyone is so reluctant to post, we don't have all the specifics yet.

Or jealousy, either way, a picture is required.

Don't we deserve a picture yet?

I'm sure that's why everyone is so reluctant to post, we don't have all the specifics yet.

Or jealousy, either way, a picture is required.
Ahh nothing to be jealous of.
I will have a picture by Friday. I don't have the kettle yet.:mad: I can't pick it up for a few days. You all have a picture of this thing in your head, and I am gonna soooooo disappoint!
JJ

I have made a few batches out of a steam kettle and to see wort boiling off the sides is cool as heck! Having to buy a steam generator sounds like an expensive endeavor though.

Jaybird,
How about a pic. of the 1 1/2" opening, pretty please?:D

I think he was talking about another 1 1/2" opening. More the type that gets brought up in the Fightclub and might be similar to this pic...

Ok here she is. No the HOT SWMBO didn't come w/ the kettle.

j/k - That is awesome Jaybird!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So you really can't ever have all the toys.... interesting.....

and the outside bottom drain w/ 2" bronze or brass dump valve
Jaybird,
Looks Great. New stainless threaded nipple on the drain, eh?

I thought the drain opening was 1 1/2" for some reason. I've got some spare 1 1/2" 316 ss pieces; nipples cam locs and such.

C'est la vie.

Nice find. I mean both the kettle and the gal:mug:

Jaybird,
Looks Great. New stainless threaded nipple on the drain, eh?

I thought the drain opening was 1 1/2" for some reason. I've got some spare 1 1/2" 316 ss pieces; nipples cam locs and such.

C'est la vie.

Nice find. I mean both the kettle and the gal:mug:

Nah she's a PITA (j/j):D ****Damn I hope she dosen't surf here**** But the nipple on the end is a welded fitting. Looks like its welded in the kettle. A 2" 90* elbow is gonna be spendy.

anybody care to take a crack at the total volume?

I calc'd out just over of 80 gallons. That's assuming the bottom is a sphere at 32" dia. If I could somehow feed the scratch paper w/ many cross outs into my lap top I would include the calculations.

EDIT...OK I'll give my back up for all the geeks out there:

upper cylinder

V = pie x radius squared (16x16) x depth (12.5) /12/12/12 x 7.48 gal/cf = 43.5 gal

half sphere (taken from web calculator...yea I cheated but it seems reasonable based on the above)

V = 17157 / 2 cubic inches /12/12/12 x 7.48 gal / cf = 37.1 gal

Total volume = 43.5 + 37.1 = 80.6 gal

Or in beerspeak 2.6 Barrels

I calc'd out just over of 80 gallons. That's assuming the bottom is a sphere at 32" dia. If I could somehow feed the scratch paper w/ many cross outs into my lap top I would include the calculations.

EDIT...OK I'll give my back up for all the geeks out there:

upper cylinder

V = pie x radius squared (16x16) x depth (12.5) /12/12/12 x 7.48 gal/cf = 43.5 gal

half sphere (taken from web calculator...yea I cheated but it seems reasonable based on the above)

V = 17157 / 2 cubic inches /12/12/12 x 7.48 gal / cf = 37.1 gal

Total volume = 43.5 + 37.1 = 80.6 gal

Or in beerspeak 2.6 Barrels

Sweet Thanks. Now I need to build a boiler!

I didnt see this thread back then.

I have one I just jerked out of my kitchen. They are worth about the metal in them right now. No one is buying them, only selling. '

I have a 40 quart tippy one jetted for propane (commercial line size)

we got 2 kettles 80 gallon and a steam generator for around 2600 for our micro.. i think the 10k some people are quoting are for brand new ones or self contained units. If this is jacketed id say at most if its newer roughly 1500 or so.

Hey Jaybird. Did ya get a boiler built for it?

No I didn't. I got onto other things, (like the store) I am thinking of using this in my own "nano brewery build” as a mash tun. But that is a little ways out. I am focused on the store right now trying to get it profitable so I can use the profits to build the brewery. I do have a place picked out and approval from the owners of the building. Now to get to the city and see what they say.
Cheers
Jay

Back