Temp control: multi FV's in 1 temp box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmazer

Reaction score
Hello all

If 2 or more batches of beer made the same day are put in a temp control box, with say a light ale and a heavier double, will they be happy together in the same temp box, or will the most active one be too hot, and the less one too cold? Is it "optimal" to do one batch at a time, per box? At least during primary? Or will temps be within a degree or 2 anyway with air temp controlled.
I have room for 2 separate boxes, cooler for primary and warmer for finishing would let me brew more beer than once every 3 weeks tho...
Perhaps 2 boxes is better.

I do this all the time too. You want to normally put the temp controller on the more sensitive beer, in your example it's probably the lighter beer. But they'll be fine. You don't even have to do the beers at the same time. It's actually better to stagger them by about 2 weeks and always have the controller on the one that is the most recently brewed. That way you have temp control on the beer that's in active fermentation and the terminal gravity beer is just conditioning slightly cooler. No biggee, the difference is usually only about 2 degrees or so.

Back