Consecration kit from MoreBeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leolee86

Reaction score
They have a kit for this beer up, and are saying the oak pieces are from actual barrels from the brewery, does anyone have any experience on this clone

They claim that they just got it in April, when they paid a visit to RR. They did a 4 part interview with the owner. Interviewer was lousy, but the owner came across as super nice, informative, and regular guy. Check it out on youtube.

CBXBob said:
They claim that they just got it in April, when they paid a visit to RR. They did a 4 part interview with the owner. Interviewer was lousy, but the owner came across as super nice, informative, and regular guy. Check it out on youtube.

+1
Just watched them...
The interviewer was playing pocket pool the whole time...lol
The sour part was really informative..

Thinking about gettin this kit for my bday present to myself...X3 tho...
I've got extra carboys just hanging around....
Igotsand

I broke down and ordered a 2 of em...they got me with the "limited availability" line :)..well it also helped convince the wife to let me spend 100 and something dollars on beer kits

If you have access to Russian River sours, you can use the dregs from the bottles to add to secondary to get similar results. You don't really need the chunk of barrel. Fermenting the batch with Wyeast Roselare blend will get you close too - I think passedpawn used it recently and had good luck.

The hard part is finding dried black currants - there's 1 website that carries them but they are a bit pricey to buy (FYI - Zante currants that you find in the supermarket are not black currants, they are raisins).

I started a Consecration clone a few weeks ago starting with a slightly scaled down version of Jamil's Dark Strong ale, fermented with ECY Trappist ale yeast and added RR dregs along with some Roselare bug cake from a Flanders red brew and some wine soaked oak cubes. So far so good, but it'll take a while for the Brett and bugs to chew through everything.

I really want to make this kit, but it seems to be sold out. I guess I missed the train. Does anybody feel kind enough to share the grain bill with me, so I can try on my own? :confused:

Hey All,

Just wanted to share with everyone on HBT that MoreBeer! is now offering a Russian River Consecration ingredient kit that was provided to us from Vinnie. It's currently out of stock, but we'll be getting more available shortly!

Anybody that has had Consecration before can tell you that it's one awesome sour beer - so try to get one of these kits while they last...

Extract Consecration

All-Grain Consecration

Cheers!

Hey All,

Just wanted to share with everyone on HBT that MoreBeer! is now offering a Russian River Consecration ingredient kit that was provided to us from Vinnie. It's currently out of stock, but we'll be getting more available shortly!

Anybody that has had Consecration before can tell you that it's one awesome sour beer - so try to get one of these kits while they last...

Extract Consecration

All-Grain Consecration

Cheers!

Your recipe says black currants, but vinnie uses zante currants, which are a different animal. Zante currants are from grapes, like raisins.

[edit] sorry, I should also say EXCELLENT! I love consecration. I've got the original and several clones of my own on the shelf right now. Thanks for providing this kit for our homebrewers. :mug:

Hey passedpawn -

Thanks for the response! I'm not sure where this information was provided, but on the Russian River Brewing Co. website, he'll state that they use black currants. To checkout their description of the beer, click on the link below.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/consecration/

From an email from Vinnie to me:

"We actually [use] Zante currants. It is probably the barrels that is giving the rich flavor."

But, if you are providing the currants, they are probably zante anyway. Black currants are VERY hard to source in this country due to an unfortunate ban a long time ago. They are not banned any longer, so if anyone is looking for them www.currantc.com is one of the few places.

Interesting, I am curious why something different would be posted on his site. I was looking a little further into it and found this link on a write up from May, 2008:

http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/consecration-of-the-new-russian-river-brewery/

Maybe they switched, or trade off which currants they use depending on the batch. We were able to interview him in April, and the information we received when speaking with him was black currants. I suppose it would be a fun experiment to split the batch in two and try the difference between the two currants though!

Thanks again for the information passedpawn, cheers!

PS - Checkout the interview with Vinnie below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect! I was looking for something other than another saison to ferment this summer. Please pass along our thanks to Vinnie for sharing this with the HB community!

If you have access to Russian River sours, you can use the dregs from the bottles to add to secondary to get similar results. You don't really need the chunk of barrel. Fermenting the batch with Wyeast Roselare blend will get you close too - I think passedpawn used it recently and had good luck.

The hard part is finding dried black currants - there's 1 website that carries them but they are a bit pricey to buy (FYI - Zante currants that you find in the supermarket are not black currants, they are raisins).

I started a Consecration clone a few weeks ago starting with a slightly scaled down version of Jamil's Dark Strong ale, fermented with ECY Trappist ale yeast and added RR dregs along with some Roselare bug cake from a Flanders red brew and some wine soaked oak cubes. So far so good, but it'll take a while for the Brett and bugs to chew through everything.

OK, i just found out from passedpawn that he emailed Vinnie about the currants and that Vinnie responded that they use Zante currants, and not the real black currants. Since the website says black currants and his interviews say black currants, passedpawn emailed Vinnie one more time to completely clarify what he uses. They are very different fruits, so if I hear back from passedpawn I'll update it here.

EDIT: Those interested in buying a kit might want to suscribe to this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/consecration-clone-333723/

_

I'll definitely post when the kits are available again. I'm guessing early next week at this point, but again, will keep everyone posted.

Cheers!

Wow, that kit sold out pretty fast. Oh well, saved me a lot of money. One of these days I'll probably try a clone, I'll just do without actual Consecration barrel chunks.

Hey passedpawn -

Thanks for the response! I'm not sure where this information was provided, but on the Russian River Brewing Co. website, he'll state that they use black currants. To checkout their description of the beer, click on the link below.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/consecration/

I sent the link to Vinnie and pointed out the "black currants" and he says "I’ll have to have our web person change this."

digitalhifi said:
I really want to make this kit, but it seems to be sold out. I guess I missed the train. Does anybody feel kind enough to share the grain bill with me, so I can try on my own? :confused:

I should have the kit early next week, ill post the grain bill and schedule on here

Alrighty, ill just scan the pages they send me and post em here, the shopping tracker says ill get it on the 13th.

Just a heads up, I just noticed they refreshed the stock of the kits. Not sure how many but as soon as the word spreads I'm sure they will fly off the shelf

OK, i just found out from passedpawn that he emailed Vinnie about the currants and that Vinnie responded that they use Zante currants, and not the real black currants. Since the website says black currants and his interviews say black currants, passedpawn emailed Vinnie one more time to completely clarify what he uses. They are very different fruits, so if I hear back from passedpawn I'll update it here.

EDIT: Those interested in buying a kit might want to suscribe to this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/consecration-clone-333723/

_

I listened to the interview and I only heard "currants" at 8:00. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey All,

As mentioned before - we've gotten our Consecration kits off of back order, so feel free to order away!

Also, thank you passedpawn for pointing the difference out between the currants. I'll be checking with our purchaser to see if they can contact our supplier to get information on the currants we're using. If Zante currants are available, you can bet we'll be switching over!

If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to ask...cheers!

I am amazed how fast these sell..my order should be in tommrow, ill post the grain bill and schedule then...also I'm thinking that Russian river could make a bill gates fortune off of these barrel kits

I have ten gallons of this fermenting right now.

Matt,
So if in fact these are the wrong currants, can I bring in the black ones for the correct ones?

I can PM the recipe to whoever needs it tonight.

Hey All,

So it looks as though the currants included with the Consecration kit are Zante currants from the Black Corinth Grape.

".....organic Zante Currants are dried from the highest quality Black Corinth Grape. They are first known to be cultivated in ancient Greece on the Ionian Island of Zakynthos or "Zante," the English translation. Famous for their intense, rich flavor and small size, they make the perfect ingredient for baked goods, granola, and yogurt. Our organic dried Zante Currants...."

It looks like they are Zante currants that are black in color, which is why they were being referred to as "Black Currants". Very sorry for the confusion everyone, enjoy the kit!

Any way you could PM or email us homebrewtalk guys before you put the next kits on sale? Would love to try this and really want the actual barrel chunks. Or can I just pay ahead an reserve one or 2?

They have some extract versions available, but 50 bucks just to take the barrel chunks is a little pricey

leolee86 said:
They have some extract versions available, but 50 bucks just to take the barrel chunks is a little pricey

Maybe for you, but for those of use who don't live where we can get bottles of RR very easily to pitch the dregs, those barrel chunks can be great. In fact, I wish they'd just sell the chunks.

Very sorry all for the back ordered kits. We're working feverishly to keep these on the shelves. If you're interested in placing an order for the kit when it's on back order you're certainly able to do so - just call our customer service department at 1.800.600.0033 and ask them if you can place a back ordered invoice for the consecration kits and they'll be able to help you with that. Cheers!

Just curious about the barrels, I know the chunks have some bugs already impregnated in them...but say you pitch the kit wood and some of your own..aside to it adding more of the barrel flavor would it inoculate the new wood as well?

Yes, the colony would most likely occupy the new oak over time (how long it would take, I'm not sure). Do keep in mind though that adding more oak on top of the chunk(s) that is already provided would probably over-oak the beer, so be cautious when doing this. If you were looking to inoculate other oak chunks you'd probably be best off doing so in a different carboy. Maybe a 5000mL flask (Y450). Make a yeast starter essentially, but just pitch the consecration oak chunk with other oak, and let it go for 2-3 months or longer? Then you could just pitch that entire thing into your next project, or just take the oak from it that should theoretically have bugs crawling all over it!

Great question leolee - thanks again everyone for your interest in the kit. We hope it turns out well for everybody!

you could also boil your cubes/chips/chunks in water for about 10 minutes and pour off the liquid to help neutralize them before adding.

Just ordered this kit last night. I've heard great things about the "real" version and it's impossible to get in Pennsylvania, so brewing my own is the next best thing! Looking forward to it!

Just ordered this kit last night. I've heard great things about the "real" version and it's impossible to get in Pennsylvania, so brewing my own is the next best thing! Looking forward to it!

I bought a bunch in Philly. Apparently there's a worm hole in the beer-space continuum that allows RR to distribute there (and Denver IIRC).

Back