Question about Carb Tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
I kegged a recent brew in Tap A Draft Kegs tonight. However, I forgot to add the priming sugar I normally use. I have a bag of Muntons Carb Tabs and think I 'll just add those to each TAD bottle. The instructions say to add 4/12oz. The TAD bottles are 6L or 202.88oz. That comes to almost 17 12oz bottles or 68 tabs. If I add 68 carb tabs to a TAD bottle, will I have a bomb?

I don't think you can just scale this up proportionately and here's why: part of the amount of priming sugar we put into a bottled beer is intended to pressurize the headspace in the bottle. In a "bottle" such as a tap-a-draft, or a corny keg, there's a lot less headspace. That's why when you're using priming sugar in a 5gal keg, you use less than if you're priming 5gal intended for bottling.

But unfortunately, I don't know how to calculate the exact amount.

That was my fear. Oh well, there were three different volumes for 12 oz bottles. Low, medium and high carb. I used the medium and scaled it up. I should have probably used low...afterall, I'll have CO2 carts on these when it's time to serve. I may give them a day or two and then loosen the caps and re-tighten. I may have to do that more than once!

Latest posts

Back