Gonna bottle the Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
OK,

Sometime between now a Sunday will put it up. Question: Hefe's are supposed to have yeast in the bottle. A lot has now settled since being brewed just over two weeks ago. Do I stir this up and if so, how. I can't think of anything long and slender enough to reach the bottom of the six and a half gal glass carboy.

OK,

Sometime between now a Sunday will put it up. Question: Hefe's are supposed to have yeast in the bottle. A lot has now settled since being brewed just over two weeks ago. Do I stir this up and if so, how. I can't think of anything long and slender enough to reach the bottom of the six and a half gal glass carboy.

Nah, don't worry about it. There should be anough in suspension to give you a nice layer of sediment in each bottle. Not to mention, when you prime that will get the yeast going again and produce more sediment.

If you're worried about having enough active yeast in the bottle to carbonate it then you don't have to bother stirring up the sediment layer on the bottom, there will be enough yeast left suspended in the beer to do the job. If you're looking for the traditional cloudy Hefe then I'd like to suggest dissolving a couple of tbsp. of white flour into some water and then adding it to your wort during the boil next time you brew.

My latest Hefe was still good and cloudy after 2 weeks in primary, although it was an extract batch. The first one I did was a canned pre-hopped extract kit and it came out really clear...

You can give the carboy a gently swirl without opening it. Careful, it's harder with a carboy then a bucket!

How are you going to rack it? I'd just give a good swipe or two with my racking cane as I'm siphoning to the bottling bucket - I want a lot of that yeast going into the bottles so I can pour it nice and cloudy.

Back