Question about my Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KENfromMI

Reaction score
I'm back brewing after about an 8yr layoff, started 17yrs ago and gave it up, started back because my new hobby of winemaking takes too long to drink. Anyway I'm making all kinds of mistakes but am sipping an Oberon clone which is my first batch in 8yrs, it's ok but dont really want to share it with friends. My second batch is in the primary (bucket) the recipe says to rack to a carboy after 7 days, today is the 7th day and when I went downstairs it's like the fermentation started all over again. I check my thermometer daily and the ambient room temperature has been between 68 and 70 the entire week. Any ideas what happened? Should I be worried? should I rack it or let it sit another week? Also starting a hefweizen today with the weinstephen yeast which I never used before, hoping it tatses like the local microbrew where I read they use that style of yeast in theirs. Thanks for the help, Ken

Temperature rise on a Saison? I wouldn't worry much. Ester production may have slightly increased, but that's not really a concern with Saison. Scotch Ale, maybe, but... ;)

Now, if your beer isn't done fermenting, screw what the recipe says. The yeast know what they're doing, and can't read anyway. Check the gravity with your hydrometer. When you get three like readings in three consecutive days, it's done and ready for racking.

That hefeweissen yeast rocks! You'll enjoy it. Lots of clove and banana...

Cheers,

Bob

I have a Saison in the primary right now, myself. What kind of yeast did you use ? I know that some of the Saison yeasts will stall after a couple of days, and then start up again.

I'm back brewing after about an 8yr layoff, started 17yrs ago and gave it up, started back because my new hobby of winemaking takes too long to drink. Anyway I'm making all kinds of mistakes but am sipping an Oberon clone which is my first batch in 8yrs, it's ok but dont really want to share it with friends. My second batch is in the primary (bucket) the recipe says to rack to a carboy after 7 days, today is the 7th day and when I went downstairs it's like the fermentation started all over again. I check my thermometer daily and the ambient room temperature has been between 68 and 70 the entire week. Any ideas what happened? Should I be worried? should I rack it or let it sit another week? Also starting a hefweizen today with the weinstephen yeast which I never used before, hoping it tatses like the local microbrew where I read they use that style of yeast in theirs. Thanks for the help, Ken

Yeah, the hydrometer is your friend. If it's bubbling, I wouldn't even take a reading though, I'd just let it sit there and keep bubbling. You might have had a stall, and fermentation slowed down, then picked back up again once the culture hit critical mass again.

Oh, and as for hefen, I just read in another thread that cooler fermenting temperatures impart a clove taste, warmer a banana taste. Figure low-60s for clove, low 70s for more banana (according to the thread).

Thanks for the quick replies, my yeast bottle said Saison Ale yeast 1 or l not sure, then the number WLP565, Ken

Thanks for the quick replies, my yeast bottle said Saison Ale yeast 1 or l not sure, then the number WLP565, Ken

WLP565 is what I used in mine, although mine is a high gravity. I had active fermentation for well over a week. Personally, I would just ride it out. Like Flatline said, wait until the bubbling stops, (for a couple of days), and then take your hydro readings.

Thanks again, as of yesterday it stopped and the fermentation lock is bottomed out with no signs of anything going on now, going to take a few readings and probably rack it, Ken

Back