blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I posted this in my holiday ale thread. Would like feedback.

Please read some of the other posts from other people.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/brewers-best-holiday-ale-kit-questions-79253/

Well I could not wait. It was 2 weeks bottled. Chilled one and tried it.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just found my new beer. I will brew this one year round. Very Dark, and flavorful, I can not wait till this conditions more.

syilk1, sorry to hear that, mine was overly active to, the air lock got clogged with by products, I guess its krausen? please correct me if I am wrong.
Should I use an blowoff instead? Please help, I do not want an accident like this.

I thought It was on the stove boiling it was so active.

Thanks

I brewed this kit on Saturday and yes I should have used a blow off also. On Sunday afternoon it blew the lid off my 6.5 gal bucket! After I cleaned it up I rigged up a blow off and it's still bubbling away today. I plan on racking it into a carboy this weekend and letting it sit for a couple of weeks then kegging. I'm really looking forward to this one for the holidays!

I had a blow off rigged up but must of gotten clogged or just could not keep up, It looked like someone was blowing through the tube constantly, Rough go for my first batch, I am proud to say I have the Brewers Best India pale ale going and it only has a bubble once in a while. My wife was kind enough to let me have one more go.
Scott

Put that beer down, as Big Kahuna says "Don't be a beer pedophile". Give it three weeks in the bottle at 75*-80*, you will be upset when you drink the last one and it is the best because it is the only one that actually isn't green...

Is there such a thing as a brewing blow off valve? Or is something I need to make. I am lucky my holiday ale was not all over the place like some have said. What can I do so this does not happen to me if I were to do another brew like this?

If I need to make one can someone help me out.

Thanks

You can buy or make one, it's just a piece of tubing that goes from your airlock hole to a jug of water. If you have a 3 piece airlock, you can just remove the inner piece and lid, and slide some tubing over the center post.

I've also made them from a short piece of racking cane shoved into the stopper and attached the hose to that.

so i would assume that when it builds pressure it will spill over into the water jug instead of blowing the lid off?

You can buy or make one, it's just a piece of tubing
that goes from your airlock hole to a jug of water. If you have a 3 piece airlock, you can just remove the inner piece and lid, and slide some tubing over the center post.

I've also made them from a short piece of racking cane shoved into the stopper and attached the hose to that.

Well, it won't really build pressure as it's just an open tube into the water jug. It will just bubble through the water which acts as an airlock of sorts (I use sanitized water in the jug) and any krausen residue that might have otherwise clogged your airlock will usually just pass through the tubing and into the water.

Once the bubbling slows down and the risk of a blow-off decreases, I replace it with a regular airlock - usually 2-3 days.

Another thing if you use your airlock housing - make sure the holes at the bottom are large enough to let stuff through. Lots of time there is plastic flash from the molding process partially covering the holes. If it clogs up down there, you can still blow your lid or airlock off and it kind of defeats the purpose.

Im sure everybody knows but I'll state the obvious just in case. Make sure your container that you are blowing off to is lower than the opening of your fermenter or you could possibly siphon the liquid into your fermenter.

Put that beer down, as Big Kahuna says "Don't be a beer pedophile". Give it three weeks in the bottle at 75*-80*, you will be upset when you drink the last one and it is the best because it is the only one that actually isn't green...

Sorry, but I've gotta pick that nit man..........75-80* is way to hot to be aging beer....shoot for like 65-70 :D

I think it depends on how long you want to keep it - theoretically it should age faster at 75-80 and it will certainly carb faster, so it may get ready to drink a bit sooner. But for long term storage, yeah I'd keep it cooler than that. I keep mine at 75* for the first 3-4 weeks while they carb up, then move them to the cooler spare bathroom to store drink at my leisure :tank:

Latest posts

Back