Duvel Clone, RAMP MASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Got a recipe for a Duvel Clone... it calls for a "ramp mash" starting at 99F and ending at 168F. It sayes to gradually heat the mash during a 1.5-3 hour period to make the wort more fermentable. Luckily with my new HERMS I can pull this off without even watching the mash.

Question, has anyone tried this method before? I am excited to try it, and to get this thing in a keg, to open when my our new baby is born in the spring!

POL

Some HERMS lovin' already.. I like it.

I just did a tripel and did a step mash on it (131-149), clearest wort I've ever gotten. It's amazing.

99 sounds low, acid rest range is supposedly detrimental for fully modified malt :confused:. You could start at 122 ramp from there. Or ramp up quickly until you get past 122 and then slow it down. I like the idea...

Actually, depending on the Pilsner malt you use, 122dF could even be too low (reduce head formation/retention in well modified malts). The thing with Duvel clones is that there's really no way for us to brew them exactly like Moortgat does as far as procedure goes. I believe they use only Pilsner malt, but from several different sources and probably very specific degrees of modification. The best way to brew a Duvel clone mash-schedule wise is to have the malt analysis (or an educated guess) and create steps/temps accordingly. Most Pilsner malt available to homebrewers is very well modified (and with a Soluble Nitrogen Ratio in the upper 30%s to low 40%s). With Duvel, you really want that killer head as well as a low FG. This makes mash temps a crucial part of the recipe. If I were brewing a Duvel clone with the average well-modified Pilsner malt we get, I would start the mash in the mid 130s, step up to the upper 140s, then mash out at 168.

Not to question your recipe source, but with a clone like Duvel, I wouldn't want you to have a beer that tastes great, but has too high an FG and/or little to no head.

The recipe is from BYO magazine... thought that would be reputable enough! They recommend the 99-168F mash to get the LOW FG of the Duvel. No where in the article/recipe do they speak of detrimental aspects of this when it comes to head retention. It actually states, mash in at 99F and gradually raise the temp to 168F over a 90 minute to 3 hour period. Good thing I dont subscribe to BYO?

Isnt HERMS great for clear wort? I was simply amazed at what the wort looked like in a matter of minutes. Brewing is alot more fun than it ever was before.

The recipe is from BYO magazine... thought that would be reputable enough! They recommend the 99-168F mash to get the LOW FG of the Duvel. No where in the article/recipe do they speak of detrimental aspects of this when it comes to head retention. It actually states, mash in at 99F and gradually raise the temp to 168F over a 90 minute to 3 hour period. Good thing I dont subscribe to BYO?

Nothing wrong with BYO, per se. I myself am a subscriber. It's just that the littlest thing could result in not getting that signature Duvel head. From what I know about Pilsner malt and malt analyses, I'm a bit skeptical of that schedule and it producing close to the same head and attenuation as Duvel. But if you do it, I'd be interested to know how it turns out. I'll post my Duvel clone recipe (below) I put together based on information from Brew Like a Monk and New Brewing Lager Beer and a few of my own educated guesses (hops schedule). It's only for "educational" purposes, though, because I haven't even brewed it yet. :cross: In particular, check out the mash schedule and the notes at the bottom.

Duvel Clone
Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/1/2008
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.45 gal
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: BREWTREE- 15 Gallon Brewing System
Brewhouse Efficiency: 93.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
19.10 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.04 %
3.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (65 min) Hops 23.5 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
1.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
3.90 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 16.96 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Golden Ale (White Labs #WLP570) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.36 %
Bitterness: 30.7 IBU Calories: 305 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 23.88 qt of water at 143.0 F 134.0 F
75 min Saccharification Heat to 148.0 F over 15 min 148.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 170.0 F over 10 min 170.0 F

Notes

Add dextrose to kettle at 15 minutes left to boil. Add gypsum (if necessary) to suit water profile. Add Whirlfloc/Irish moss.

Medium Sized Yeast Starter.

Cool wort to 60dF. Pitch yeast at 61-64dF. Slowly raise fermentation temp to 82dF (total fermentation time = 5 days or 120 hours).
Lager at 30-31dF for 3 weeks. Carbonate bottles at 75dF for 2 weeks. Then store bottles at 41dF for 6 weeks before drinking.

In particular, check out the mash schedule and the notes at the bottom.

I followed essentially the same schedule for my tripel which is in the fermenter, so I have no idea how good the head retention is on mine... :cross: I did 131 and 149, after reading New Lager Brewing and the recommendations there.

A good reference for a Duvel clone is Jamil's brewcast on Belgian Golden Strong Ale.

24_mew_big.jpg

499712222_ebb5b3afce.jpg

May I just say WOW. (Not World of War....)
The "Brew Like a Monk" book sounds like a must read for me, I have never heard of it. I also have never thought that an wort / yeast could go from 1.070 to 1.005, maybe a cider to mead. Is WLP570 mostly to do with that or could some generic WLP001 get close to that?
I just did a Hefe, where I used deconation to raise the temps, below is what I ended up with (Note, it was not the plan, but hey I'm always learning.)
08:30 4.2 gal Proten/Enzyme rest 132F 20 min - 127F
08:50 First deconation.
09:10 144F Beta Rest
09:20 Second deconation.
09:40 154F Alpha -stirred down (60 minutes).
Its still in the primary, but I was going for the highest conversion and implementability I could get.
May I just say I love good discussions like this, and I got a recipe and process to think about.
Thank you all,

Latest posts

Back