Green Flash West Coast IPA data???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
OK,
I finished my last IPA and HAVE to brew some more.
After considering Pliney the Elder and Port Wipeout IPA, I would like to try to duplicate Green Flash West Coast IPA. Their website says they use Simcoe, Columbus, Cascade and Centennial. Anyone want to try to take a stab at guessing the bittering, flavor, aroma and dryhop schedules?

So, I tried the West Coast IPA this past week, and I am blown away. I have a trial version of Beer Alchemy for OSX that I am loving, but I haven't posted a recipe for review before, so be gentle. :D

After doing a little research, here's my PM attempt:

5-gallon batch

Steeped for 45 mins @ ~155°
2.5 lb Munich Malt 10l
0.5 lb Caramel Vienna Malt 20l

Boiled for 60 mins
6.5 lb Light LME
0.5 lb Texas Honey (because, hey, why not?)

Hop additions
60 mins:
1.0 oz Columbus
0.5 oz Simcoe
0.5 oz Centennial

15 mins:
0.5 oz Centennial
0.5 oz Cascade
0.25 oz Simcoe

5 mins:
0.5 oz Centennial

Dry Hop:
0.75 oz Centennial
0.5 oz Columbus
0.5 oz Simcoe
0.5 oz Cascade

Yeast: US-05, or WL California Ale

From the Green Flash site, the final product should be around 7% ABV, and 95 IBUs. With this recipe Beer Alchemy's showing about 6.8% ABV, about 110 IBU (Tinseth), and about 7.7 SRM.

The Green Flash IPA has a great orange-y color to it, and I have no idea how to emulate that, so any suggestions on how to achieve this and stay within my targets would be helpful.

For what it's worth I have emailed Green Flash in the past asking about their recipes, more specifically their IIPA, but never got a response. Even went on a tour of the brewery, but still couldn't get to much info out of them. They must have thought I was some super drunk corporate spy or something. :D

Vienna and Munich both impart an orange color to beer. I have an IIPA based loosely off the information yall have provided here, but Green Flash isn't available here so I have no way to taste test it against the real deal......

Here's what I was going to try next week based loosely off this info:

10 lbs MO
2 lbs Vienna
1 lbs Munich 10L
.50 lbs Crystal 40
.50 lbs Wheat Malt

1.0 oz Columbus @ 60min
1.0 oz Cascade @ FWH
1.0 oz Simcoe @ FWH
1.0 oz Centennial @ 15mins
1.0 oz Cascade @ 10mins

WLP051. Mashed @ 154 for 60min.

Dry Hop 1.0 oz Cascade and 1.0 oz Simcoe. IBU's according to Beersmith right at 95. ABV 7.5%

Back