Short on Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjacket

Reaction score
So I was assembling my ingredients for an orange flavored Belgian Wit beer and have come up short on hops. It calls for 1 oz of Hallertauer for bittering and then 1/2 oz of Hallertauer for flavor (last 15) and 1/2 oz of Hallertauer for aroma (last 5). I only have (readily) available 1 oz. If I don't do the finishing part, how adversely will this affect the beer. Is it worth reducing the bittering hops a little and then using the left overs for finishing or should I just skip it. Is dry hopping during secondary fermenting a possibility if I had some hops mailed in over the next few days?

On another note, since I have your attention my LHBS dude told me to secondary ferment for 8-9 days. Would 14-16 days cause a problem? Thanks!

Dry hopping is certainly possible. I'll let more of a hop expert answer in detail.

I ALWAYS keep my beer in secondary for at least a couple weeks. Usually it ends up being more than that. It makes your beer taste better!

Welcome to HBT! :tank:

Yeah, its going to effect the flavor but you gotta do what you gotta do... just use 1/2oz for bittering and 1/2oz for aroma and chalk it up to the hops shortage.

And I usually leave mine in the primary for 7~10 days and then secondary for 14~20 days with no ill effects - you should be fine as long as there is no infection or sanitation issues...

You can boil the bittering hops for 90 mins instead of 60 mins. It will get you closer to the bitterness intended. You could do the 1/2 oz boiling(90 min), 1/2 oz flavor(15 min), and dry hop at 2nd.

I would be much more concerened with getting the proper sweet/bitter balance in a wit than hop aroma or flavor. A sweet wit just does not sound very nice. I would stick with the 1 oz for bittering and pass on the later additions.

If you have anything else for bittering, you could use that and save your Hallertauer for later additions.

TL

Back