St. Louis stops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green_giant43

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Traveling there soon enough and seeing as the newest thread about breweries in the area is a few years old, I'm seeing what all you guys recommend checking out while I'm there.

I refuse to go to the Bud plant but I'm willing to hit up any other breweries/brewpubs while I'm there. Any ideas? What's the best brewery down there?

I may be a bit late, but four hands is one of my favorites. They make some stellar american style ales. Civil life is also a great one with some more english influence. Square one makes some fantastic beer and amazing food and im told they have delicious wiskey too. People tell me that urban chestnut is good but I have yet to taste a good one... and I went to the brewery and got a flight of all of them and none were finished. They stay toward a more german tradition. Their beer garden is really nice. Six row also failed to impress. They had a selection of solid, however unremarkable beers. Nothing bad but nothing I had to have again. If you are looking for a good beer bar nicks pub has great food and 95 beers on draft, the bulk being local or at least Missouri beers. Their service is great during lunch, less than stellar in the evening and bordering on terrible at night, though. And only two of the available bar maids know their beer. Good luck. :mug:

afterthought- Alpha brewing on washington is also phenomenal.

No that's perfect. We decided to push our trip back but I'll reference it when we actually go. Can't wait to try some of your guys' microbrews.
Thanks again.

You are very welcome. PM me if you want some company. We may or may not be able to depending on where the kids are at the time, but its worth a shot.

50 miles South on US 63 from Rolla MO, Houston is a small town, in the Ozark Foothills. There is a micro brewery about 5 miles out of town, off MO hwy 17 called Piney River Brewery. The beer is available in 16 oz cans at many of the regional liquor stores, the brewery is open for visitors on Sat only from 2pm to 7 pm. Good Dark beers with regional flavors of Black Walnut, lighter Ales and IPA's.
In Springfield MO, there is the Mothers Brewery in the College section of town. There tasting room is open Thurs thru Sat. :mug:

The suburb of Kirkwood has the Kirkwood Station brewery. They are usually pouring 7 or 8 different beers and have good food til 11:00p daily. You can also catch a band there about 5 day/week.
There is Morgan Street brewery on Laclede's Landing downtown north of the Arch, though I haven't sampled their beer in a while. And Cathedral Square is another new brewery in the area.

I've been disappointed in Morgan Street every time I've been there. The beer is unremarkable and the tap lines are dirty. Every beer has always had a mushroomy flavor. Just trying to give you a heads up.

Can't believe no one mentioned the best, Schlafly. Their restaurant, The Bottleworks, is amazing. Then there is Perennial, Square One, Alpha, 2nd Shift.

Back