Whole vanilla beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
How should i use them? More importantly, do they need to be sanitized in some way?

I plan on using them tonight, anythoughts? I suppose if i need to i can add them later in the week but i want them in the primary during active fermentation.

Split them and scrape the seeds from the insides. Then throw the whole thing, seeds, bean, and all into the fermenter.

I guess you could steam them before splitting them in order to sanitize. I like to add vanilla beans at flameout to avoid that quandry.

I think some people sanitize in a small amount of vodka. I didn't when I've used them in the past. I did exactly what Yuri said.

If you add them at flame out are you going to get as much vanilla out of them as possible?

I am going to try the steamN'sanitize method.

Heres to non infected beer!

I split them, scrape them, chop 'em up and toss into booze while the beer is in primary. Then toss all of it into secondary. Same goes with wood chips, except the "split them, scrape them, chop 'em up' part. :D

Wild

Back