Forgive me for thinking this is awesome/Brewing in cold weather.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I'm checking my HBT threads, eating my eggs on spent grain toast, and sipping coffee, it's a balmy -43 this morning. I'm not brewing until January 4 for my Caribrewsary - may have to do at least part of the boil outside if it's really cold.

Dude that is cold. It will hit 20 below here but not often and not for long.

I do love winter though

Only 20 below? Lucky you. Here in the snow belt (NE Ohio),I've been stuck in the Ford parking lot at 88 below. Had to tune the pinto to get it to start,darn bosch distys. You'd start feelin frostbit in about 2 minutes flat. Glad I was young when I was forced to deal with that noise.20 or 30 below is about average though. Turns the garage into a big flintstone fridge!

unionrdr said:
Only 20 below? Lucky you. Here in the snow belt (NE Ohio),I've been stuck in the Ford parking lot at 88 below. Had to tune the pinto to get it to start,darn bosch distys. You'd start feelin frostbit in about 2 minutes flat. Glad I was young when I was forced to deal with that noise.20 or 30 below is about average though. Turns the garage into a big flintstone fridge!

What part? I'm in NE Ohio as well.

That episode was from Ford's Engine Plant #1 in Brookpark in the 70's. The parking lot was right across from the main runway at hopkins airport. It was an unusually cold winter that year. But 20-30 below is typical low range for the colder bouts winter throws at us. Just gets a crap ton colder sometimes with little or no warning. It's just my dumb luck to be forced out into it more often as not. Being from Cleveland as well,you should know this is true at times.

If its 30 F here, we will ice fish in sweat shirts at the most. Cant wait to brew something up in the driveway this winter when it gets into the "teens." Neighbors will really think i've lost my bits.

Ok all this talk about the cold is giving me chills, so Im thinking about last summer, it was a bit warm here at 125 deg driving down hwy 95 in the dune buggy and No this is not any BS, check out the high temps from the national whether service for Lake Havasu City Az. right down the road from Mohave Valley Az where I live.

Try cooling your wort in that kind of heat lol the thermometer (in the shade) on the back patio was pegged past the 120 deg mark, ouch the house even with the AC running is maxing out saison fermentation temps

Cheers to all :mug:

its 80 degrees and 65% humidity here and I'm trying to do a triple decoction. Trying not to drip sweat in the kettle sucks.

I've been stuck in the Ford parking lot at 88 below.

I hate to keep calling you out on the carpet, but the coldest temp ever recorded in Ohio is -39*

-80 is the coldest ever in the US (Alaska), with -70 being the coldest ever in the lower 48 (MT)

Sorry man, but It wasn't -88F outside. Not even the windchill. Even if it was -30*, there would have had to be hurricane-strength winds for the windchill to be that low.

We saw -68 or so here in Maine with windchill a few years back. I think the mercury was at like -50. I was out on my snowmobile it was so cold that my breath created actual ice on the inside of my helmet even with a mask on. Imagine chilling in those temps?

It wasn't all that cold here today, but we did get 10" of snow....they called it a "blizzard" I'm not so sure. I brewed a Baltic Blizzard Porter just for good cause and partially washed my brewed kettle with freshly fallen snow. Does that count?

I don't know what's worse, that the OP is amused by steam that most of us see all the time coming out of our kettles or that this thread has reached 6 pages :smack:

Rev.

Did somebody say steam?

GOPR0876-Copy-300x225.jpg

Club brew day, it wasnt -43 but it was still cold at +20 with a mighty wind.

still cold at +20 with a mighty wind.

Wind is the worst, but also a blessing in disguise. On one hand the wind can blow out the burner if strong enough, it can also calm the rolling boil to what looks more like a simmer. On the other hand, if the air is too still I've had a number of times the boil foams up the hotbreak and you have to either blow on it or spray it with a water bottle if it starts getting really high. With a little breeze it keeps the hotbreak foam forming in check. I still prefer it to not be too windy.

Rev.

Double brew night - another IPA and an Oktoberfest style something or other.

9*, Real Feel 4* in Denver at the moment. Almost had to put a hoodie on over my t-shirt :mug:

734915_686956985950_337542751_n.jpg

yeah its been pushing 0 for most the month. windchill of 10-20 degrees. I might just risk the propane burner inside this weekend. it's THAT cold.

The back alley of my apartment/rowhouse. Or Pleasure Alley as I like to call it. What I wouldn't give for a garage.

Double brew night - another IPA and an Oktoberfest style something or other.

9*, Real Feel 4* in Denver at the moment. Almost had to put a hoodie on over my t-shirt :mug:

734915_686956985950_337542751_n.jpg

That's pretty hardcore. I just finished cleaning up and it's about 4F outside but they say it feels like -7F. Luckily I can brew in my garage which was probably somewhere between 35-40F today. Relatively speaking, that's a downright balmy temperature.

I was told -1 last night, I had to work in it! that was some cold shiz, cool to to see a local here. I was begining to wonder if any Utahns were brewin!

yewtah-brewha said:
I was told -1 last night, I had to work in it! that was some cold shiz, cool to to see a local here. I was begining to wonder if any Utahns were brewin!

That sucks that you had to work in it. I just about froze going outside to dump my spent grains.

I'm originally from Ohio. Trust me, I know how silly it sounds. :D

If you live out here for 6 years though 110° isn't that bad and anything below 60° is "cold". :)
Whoa! hold on there partner.

Don't try and sell that "It's a dry heat" stuff around here.

Perhaps up in Phoenix you guys get used to 110 degrees. But for everyone else 110 is flat out misery on earth. In facts it's the surface of the sun. I have lived here for 30 years, and I still cant get used to it. Today it was 45 degrees and it was awesome.

By the way, we are going to hit 18 degrees tonight, down here in Tucson.

Cheers. :mug:

I had a little chill in the air as well, although I still don't miss San Antonio!

IMG_0008_2.jpg

brewed a brown ale saturday evening. started when it was about 65. by the time i finished, a cold front had moved in, and dropped it to about 40 and windy. decided it would be better to wait till later to toss spent grains. all you who talk about that being warm still, come out here and have a beer with me on my back porch when it's 107 outside and i'm grilling. i have an awning over my back porch

My last batch I brewed it was -14F. When it gets that cold I brew in a stairwell or my boil never really gets going very good.

On the bonus side though I have a storeroom that stays 42F all winter long. Great for storing the beer after it carbs

To our credit, it has been in the high teens, low 20s for a few days in a row (finally warming up), but the homes here really weren't designed with sub-freezing temps in mind.

Pipes in houses are bursting left and right. A good friend of mine works for a fire and water damage company, and they are ABSOLUTELY swamped with water damage calls. It sounds silly to hear us complain about 20*, as that is a nice high for some places this time of year. This is a desert though, things weren't built with the cold in mind.

I quit brewing in Winter AND Summer a long while back. Now I just brew what I need Spring and Fall, with a sufficient stockpile to take me through those gaps.

Ok, little Canadian perspective here. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba (7 hour drive from Minneapolis) and tonight it is going down to -34 F. Nights like tonight are for drinking, not brewing! This is when your breath feelfreezes in your lungs. But, nothing Like a nice roasty brown porter to keep your belly warm.

Cheers! And Merry Christmas to all you fellow home brewers, north, south, east and west.

Back