VERY nervous...need aome advice!`

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
Even if it's RDWHAHB!

I'm doing my first belgian this afternoon. I'll be pitching anywhere from 8-10 pm. I made a starter last night (~ 8 pm) using WLP550. 8 oz. lt. DME in ~32 oz of water (filled my growler up to the bottom of the neck). Boiled 15 minutes, then stuck it in the freezer until my (sanitized) themo read 62*. Then I sanitized my growler, my funnel and a piece of foil, poured and pitched (~9:30 pm). I got quite a bit of aeration when I poured it into the growler thru the funnel - it nearly foamed over. I covered it with the foil, set it on the kitchen counter, and I've been giving it a vigorous swirl about every 45 min to an hour (except for the 6 hours I was asleep). Not seeing any activity yet.

Am I expecting too much in only 13 hours? What's a typical lag for 550 @ about 71*? If it doesn't take off by 5 or so should I run to the LHBS and get another vial and pitch it alongside the starter into my 5g wort?

You typically do not see any activity in a starter. Should smell yeasty and if you let it settle you should see the yeast layer forming. Sounds like you're on your way. :mug:

You will be fine even if it hasn't totally taken off but you will have to pitch the whole starter.

Next time be sure to leave yourself a few days so you can ferment, crash and decant:) just a little more advance planning.

Latest posts

Back