Somebody tell me everything will be ok.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outrunu

Reaction score
So, I'm on day four of my primary, and this morning before work, I checked my SG (1.016 from an OG of 1.069, chugging along nicely.) After I was done, I forgot to put the air lock back on, and I just noticed it. As soon as I put it on, it was bubbling, so my gut is that the carboy is still full of CO2, and there should be nothing to worry about. Is my gut correct?
Thanks

You're good. If C02 is coming out, no air gets in. Some people don't even seal the lid.

RDWHAHB.

Brove

It's fine. No need to take readings 4 days in though. Like a sleeping baby, no need to disturb a chugging airlock.

yep. co2 is continuously coming up, creating what is called "positive pressure". it creates a layer of pressure bad yeasties can't get through. relax; it's all good

It's not going to be OKAY! The world is ending in about 3 months!
But... You're ok without the airlock!

So you went a whole day without an airlock? Should be fine unless you have as many fruit flies around as I do... Those little bastards would have found it and had a party in there if I did that.

So you went a whole day without an airlock? Should be fine unless you have as many fruit flies around as I do... Those little bastards would have found it and had a party in there if I did that.

It would probably still be ok post fermentation.

It's fine. No need to take readings 4 days in though. Like a sleeping baby, no need to disturb a chugging airlock.
It's my first brew, of course I'm gonna micro manage this SOB....lol. Just needed to prove to myself that everything is working, and set to ease my feeling that I under pitched. Should have used a 3L starter, but only had room to make a two. All in all, I already have a +7% beer, and all should be well.

Also, thanks to all for the responses.

It's my first brew, of course I'm gonna micro manage this SOB....

I did the same. I'm sure nearly everyone on here did. After awhile you'll find areas where there is room for you to not be 100% by the book. Then it gets double fun because you start developing your own wacky style.

It would probably still be ok post fermentation.

Agreed! I wasn't trying to encourage worrying, just thinking aloud :)

I set my kombucha on the counter for 30 minutes and there's 10 fruit flies trying to crawl through the cheesecloth... Along with 3 or 4 floating dead ones in every airlock on every brew I do this time of year.

No infections yet though :ban:

The best lesson and the hardest lesson to learn in homebrewing is LEAVE it ALONE. Patience. Time solves almost all problems along with not messing with it.

Back