Smartphone brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knapptime

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone used an app in there brewing and if so which one? I know I takes some of the fun out of it but I'd like to know just for fun.

I don't use an app, but I use Beersmith on my computer to formulate recipes and track batches. It would be really helpful if Beersmith would make a mobile app that will tie in with the desktop program so I can access recipes and input readings on the fly without having to have my laptop out in the garage while brewing.

Beersmith is under $30, and I absolutely love it. They also have a free trial you can download to try.
It would be really helpful if Beersmith would make a mobile app that will tie in with the desktop program so I can access recipes and input readings on the fly without having to have my laptop out in the garage while brewing.
That would rock!

Brewsmith is great. Download the free trial and give it a shot.

I use BeerAlchemy Touch for the iPhone. It's decent (I have a lot of issues with the UI and lack of updates, but the developers do a good enough job). I'm planning on coding my own iOS app at some point, but I'm pretty slammed at work so thats at least a year+ out.

I use iBrewmaster. Kind of pricey, but I love it. It has a lot of Northern Brewer recipes already loaded for free, and there others you can purchase access to. That's the only thing that stinks. It's real handy in putting recipes together. You plug in the ingredients and the hop schedule and it will calculate the IBU's, ABV, OG, and estimate the color for you. It even tells you how your beer will compare to the BJCP standards. You tell it how you want to mash and sparge and it will calculate your strike water temps and volumes for you. It has a handy timer for the boil that gives you an alert when it's time to add something. And I get notifications when it's time to dry hop or move a beer into secondary or bottle it. It's a little clunky until you figure out everything it can do and how to enter data, but overall it's a great app.

I've been thinking about using Beersmith, but I like the flexibility of having my phone out in the garage with me while I'm brewing. If I want to change something on the fly on brew day I can plug it into the app and instantly see what it's going to do.

I've been using beeralchemy for the last year. I have no complaints but I've never tried beer smith or any other pc/Mac based programs. It's a great value IMHO for $5.00. I especially like being able to formulate recipes wherever I may be since my iPhone is always in pocket.

+1 for Ibrewmaster. I agree that it takes some time to learn how the whole thing works but it is a very helpful app. And the comparison to the style guide has been extremely helpful in keeping my personal recipes in check. Considering all the money I spend on brewing a $10 app is not that big of an investment.

brewvac said:
+1 for Ibrewmaster. I agree that it takes some time to learn how the whole thing works but it is a very helpful app. And the comparison to the style guide has been extremely helpful in keeping my personal recipes in check. Considering all the money I spend on brewing a $10 app is not that big of an investment.

Same on all points! The separate recipe/batch pages allow adjustment on brew day w/o altering the original, plus I like the timers, reminders & schedule. I think it's pretty cheap for all it does!

Here's another vote for iBrewmaster. I used to use BrewPal, and still have it on there but iBrewmaster has greater functionality.

I have a free app on droid that is "Homebrew Calculators" that is helpful for doing strike temp/hops boil timers/carbonation/etc. I don't use it for recipe generation but every now and then refer to it on brew day. I usually have my laptop by me when I'm brewing so I use hopville's website a lot.

I did the trial version of Beersmith but never pulled the trigger on buying it.

I have a free app on droid that is "Homebrew Calculators" that is helpful for doing strike temp/hops boil timers/carbonation/etc. I don't use it for recipe generation but every now and then refer to it on brew day. I usually have my laptop by me when I'm brewing so I use hopville's website a lot.

I did the trial version of Beersmith but never pulled the trigger on buying it.

I'm the exact same way. I use Homebrew Calculators for things like strike water temp and carb sugar amounts, but everything else I like to do on my own.

I use Beersmith for recipe creation, but I hate it's lack of batch-centric functionality. BrewersFriend has the right idea, but their monetization model leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm working on an iOS app that ties into my in-house brew session webapp so I can take/review my brew notes, batches, and recipes from my iPad and have access offline as well as online through a browser. It uses BeerXML so it can import recipes from Beersmith on the webapp.

IBrewmaster. Love it and have it on my iPhone and iPad and synch the db through Dropbox when I'm done brewing so I always have my batch details on hand.

I dropped my phone in the mash tun once and once in the boil kettle. I put a girlfriends phone in my Pinter at a bar once and needless to say it was our last date ,, Does that count as beer application?

I dropped my phone in the mash tun once and once in the boil kettle. I put a girlfriends phone in my Pinter at a bar once and needless to say it was our last date ,, Does that count as beer application?

She got upset over her phone falling in a beer? Doesn't sound like a keeper anyway.

I use BrewR for Android for creating recipes and I use brewzor calculator for everything else. Both are free and are awesome.

For the pc I use Brewmate which is free also and in my opinion much better than beer smith.

Since am a Android user i use BrewR And the Brewzor calculator. Both are free and have no complaints from me!! They work great for mobile apps.

I use Brewzor Calculator. I was free for my Driod- not sure if they have it for I-Phone. But it does everything that i need while running around brewing like calculating my Strike temps, Decotion Volumns, Alcohol/ Attenuation...ect. I use promash for my recipe calculations and water needed.

On Android I use:

BrewzorProBeta - full out brewing app from recipe development to shopping list to calcs. Accepts BeerXML from BeerSmith and exports BeerXML to BeerSmith.

BrewAide - has a nice brewday feel to it, moreso than brewzor. Also imports BeerXML from BeerSmith. So I can formlate al lmy recipes in BeerSmith and import tham into both programs, or I can formulate in BrewzorPro and tweak them in BeerSmith later.

I use brewr for android on my tablet. Works great as a shopping list also, just take it to my lhbs.

I have used beersmith for years and think it is/was great. However, I downloaded iBrewmaster about a year ago, and even though it doesn't have all the functionality of beersmith, the convenience of using it on my iPad or iPhone far outweighs the small gap in functionality. I would still switch back to beersmith if brad had a mobile verson today, but I fear that BS won't get there soon enough, as ibrewmaster continues to improve the functionality.

I use QBrew on the laptop for my recipes and just the stopwatch/timer on my phone for timing processes. Seems to work out well for me but have tried a couple phone based apps and wasn't real impressed, for my application they were too limited in functionality.

Brewzor is/was the best app for android that I found, however if you run some of the later version of android, 4.0 or 4.1, it gets kinda glitchy. I've tried emailing the developer to fix but the email listed for contact doesn't work. Shame

Back